Setting up a tropical nano tank.. what do you think of my stocking choices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyfoxeye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first tropical tank, I have a smaller 26 gallon bowfront tank, so I decided to plan a nano tank so I can have more life in it. So I have done lots of research and trying to find the best fish for my tank. My largest fish will be the dwarf cichlids that reach a length of 2 inches, which will be my centerpiece. And I tried to maintain a balanced tank with top, mid, and bottom dwelling fish. I counted the future length of all the fish, and its 29.9 inches in a 26 gallon, so will that be okay? I will also be planting a lot of live plants and some cave rocks, also some bio rings to put in the filter to help with the bioload. So tell me what you think of my layout please :D

2 male Lyretail guppies (1.5in)
2 German Blue Rams (2in)
2 Electric Blue Rams (2in)
6 Celestial Pearl Danios (.75in)
6 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras (.75in)
3 Panda Corydoras Catfish (1.8in)
3 Oto algae eaters (1.4in)

I am new to this, but if all goes well, I might start breeding fish to expand to a new larger tank I might buy in the future if I find the room and maybe start selling fish.

I like these fish but can I take a few out? Lyretail guppies should work. Otos are sensitive so maybe some shrimp to eat the algae instead. One pair of rams would be the max i=I think. I would go with the electric blue rams.

I would take out 2 Otos and add more Cories. A school of 6 or more is better also you could try Pygmy Cories they are smaller.

Inches per gallon is totally irrelevant and IMO should be ignored. For whatever reason, this 'guideline' continues to be perpetuated in the hobby and seems to be one of the top reasons that people mis-stock their tanks from the get go.

4 rams in a 26 bow is going to be a tight fit at best. If planning on 2 pairs, it's just not going to work IMO. You're essentially working with the footprint of a 20 gallon high, just a little wider front to back at the bow and a few inches taller.

I would suggest one pair of rams, scrap the otos, and go for 8-10 each of the cpd's and rasboras, or up to 20 of one or the other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom