Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbait101 View Post
What are some ways I could try? I have heard just putting flakes in the tank daily, but that didn't make too much sense. Is there a bottled ammonia?
In addition to the fish food method, you can also just buy ammonia solutions from a store. I had trouble finding them in any brick-and-mortar store, but if you look hard enough and/or luck out, you might be able to find some. It's super cheap, and I prefer it over the food method because you can accurately dose how much ammonia you're putting in, in addition to not gunking your tank up with decaying food.

Just make sure that whatever solution you buy is detergent- and scent-free. There's one product available on Amazon (called Clear Ammonia) that you can buy that meets these requirements. It's expensive considering what it is, but it'll work.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Regarding your proposed stocking, Texas cichlids and red devils are way too aggressive. Yellow labs are African cichlids and need hard alkaline water, which is the opposite of what angelfish need. If you want angelfish, you would have to add at least 4. I couldn't keep 2 angels in a 90 gallon tank because one was constantly harassing the other. I eventually moved both to a large tank with other angels. Rainbow and redtail sharks are too similar looking and would not get along. My personal recommendation is that you stock with 3 Bolivian rams, schools of various tetras and a school of corys. Regarding your setup, do it right the first time and you will enjoy the hobby much more. You can setup a nice South American tank with pool filter sand, driftwood and live plants. Anubias, crypts, and Java fern are all easy to grow plants. Regarding filtration, I really like using Eheim canisters. I'm also a fan of Finnex LED lights.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambee View Post
Regarding your proposed stocking, Texas cichlids and red devils are way too aggressive. Yellow labs are African cichlids and need hard alkaline water, which is the opposite of what angelfish need. If you want angelfish, you would have to add at least 4. I couldn't keep 2 angels in a 90 gallon tank because one was constantly harassing the other. I eventually moved both to a large tank with other angels. Rainbow and redtail sharks are too similar looking and would not get along. My personal recommendation is that you stock with 3 Bolivian rams, schools of various tetras and a school of corys. Regarding your setup, do it right the first time and you will enjoy the hobby much more. You can setup a nice South American tank with pool filter sand, driftwood and live plants. Anubias, crypts, and Java fern are all easy to grow plants. Regarding filtration, I really like using Eheim canisters. I'm also a fan of Finnex LED lights.
Thanks for all of that! I thought if I put more than 2 angels together then they will bully one another. So four is a good number? Also, I will just go with the rainbow shark and not both sharks. I am going with pool filter sand, but I don't know what brand. The only one I can find is quikrete brand pool filter sand. Will that work?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think 4 angels is a good number. I'm not familiar with the different brands of pool filter sand, but I'm sure that they are all good.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hope it turns out well! Do it the right way and you'll enjoy the hobby better.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I will post pictures once I get it set up. I just don't wanna do something wrong and ruin it all.

Tags
fish, fish tank, large, question, questions, setting up, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com