Setting up first large Fish tank. Multiple questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorbait101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Growing up I have always had a small aquarium (10gallon), but I am going into my second year of college and have gotten my own place and decided to get a 90 gallon tank. I guess my first question would be, is 600 gallons per hour enough filtration (I know it goes by the fish too, so I will get into that later). I plan on putting 2 HOB filters, one with 200 gallons per hour and one with 400 gallons per hour. All the fish stores I go to say that the 400gph filter is enough for 90, but a lot of the forums I read seem to like more. As for the fish, the only fish I want for sure in my tank would be a Rainbow Shark. My next question would be if I could have a Red Tail Shark in this tank as well. If not, then that is fine, but I was just courious. Also, my girlfriend really wants to have 2 angelfish in the tank (either Koi or black veil). Would the rainbow shark and the angelfish get along? From everything I have read, I feel like they would. From there, what kinds of chichlids could I have with those fish. The local fish store said rams, but I personally want a fish that gets a little bigger. That being said, as much as I love Texas chichlids and Red Devils, I feel like they will be too big (correct me if I'm wrong). So what chichlids would work, I was thinking maybe a electric yellow chichlid, but I also like new world chichlids and I didn't know if any of the new world chichlids would get along with the electric yellow. Like I said before, I have lots of questions so any help would be appreciated.

This is a great place to ask questions!

I'm not a good source for fish compatibility, so I'll defer there.

You'll need more filtration. The rule that I've read is that you want a full tank turnover ten times per hour, so you would want 900 gph.

Finally, please be sure to read up on cycling a tank before adding fish. Not cycling is the mistake most beginners (or returning enthusiasts) make.

Thanks for that help! The box for the filter that does 400 gph said it was for a 90 gallon but I wanted to add the 200gph one to be safe. I guess I will have to add another! For the cycling I have a small issue but i would like to know if you think my idea will work. The 90 gallon tank is going in my new house 2 hours away so I can't be there to feed whatever fish I decide to put in there for the cycling (I was told I have to have small fish in the tank to help cycle). My plan is to use an automatic fish feeder on the tank and have like 5 danios in the tank. Do I even have to have fish in the tank to cycle?

It's better to do a fishless cycle. There are plenty of ways to add ammonia. You don't need to subject a living creature to being immersed in it.

What are some ways I could try? I have heard just putting flakes in the tank daily, but that didn't make too much sense. Is there a bottled ammonia?

Great! I am reading that article now. Now all I have to figure out is the fish comparability part of everything

Also, could I start the cycle by putting a used filter on the tank. I have my smaller tank and have an extra filter I can just put on the tank for a little so that I can put the used filter on the 90 gallon tank.

Also, could I start the cycle by putting a used filter on the tank. I have my smaller tank and have an extra filter I can just put on the tank for a little so that I can put the used filter on the 90 gallon tank.

Yes, running an existing filter on a new tank will definitely jumpstart things and reduce cycle time.
As for compatibilities, go to AqAdvisor.com and enter the tank, filter, and potential inhabitants. Along with stocking percentages, it will provide notes on species compatibility as well as other helpful info.

Yes, running an existing filter on a new tank will definitely jumpstart things and reduce cycle time.
As for compatibilities, go to AqAdvisor.com and enter the tank, filter, and potential inhabitants. Along with stocking percentages, it will provide notes on species compatibility as well as other helpful info.
I went onto that page multiple times over the past few months and it is great for the stocking percentage, but even when I would choose a fish that stayed relatively small, like a rainbow fish, it said it needed a bigger tank. That is part of the reason I wanted real life experience.

What are some ways I could try? I have heard just putting flakes in the tank daily, but that didn't make too much sense. Is there a bottled ammonia?

In addition to the fish food method, you can also just buy ammonia solutions from a store. I had trouble finding them in any brick-and-mortar store, but if you look hard enough and/or luck out, you might be able to find some. It's super cheap, and I prefer it over the food method because you can accurately dose how much ammonia you're putting in, in addition to not gunking your tank up with decaying food.

Just make sure that whatever solution you buy is detergent- and scent-free. There's one product available on Amazon (called Clear Ammonia) that you can buy that meets these requirements. It's expensive considering what it is, but it'll work.

Regarding your proposed stocking, Texas cichlids and red devils are way too aggressive. Yellow labs are African cichlids and need hard alkaline water, which is the opposite of what angelfish need. If you want angelfish, you would have to add at least 4. I couldn't keep 2 angels in a 90 gallon tank because one was constantly harassing the other. I eventually moved both to a large tank with other angels. Rainbow and redtail sharks are too similar looking and would not get along. My personal recommendation is that you stock with 3 Bolivian rams, schools of various tetras and a school of corys. Regarding your setup, do it right the first time and you will enjoy the hobby much more. You can setup a nice South American tank with pool filter sand, driftwood and live plants. Anubias, crypts, and Java fern are all easy to grow plants. Regarding filtration, I really like using Eheim canisters. I'm also a fan of Finnex LED lights.

Regarding your proposed stocking, Texas cichlids and red devils are way too aggressive. Yellow labs are African cichlids and need hard alkaline water, which is the opposite of what angelfish need. If you want angelfish, you would have to add at least 4. I couldn't keep 2 angels in a 90 gallon tank because one was constantly harassing the other. I eventually moved both to a large tank with other angels. Rainbow and redtail sharks are too similar looking and would not get along. My personal recommendation is that you stock with 3 Bolivian rams, schools of various tetras and a school of corys. Regarding your setup, do it right the first time and you will enjoy the hobby much more. You can setup a nice South American tank with pool filter sand, driftwood and live plants. Anubias, crypts, and Java fern are all easy to grow plants. Regarding filtration, I really like using Eheim canisters. I'm also a fan of Finnex LED lights.
Thanks for all of that! I thought if I put more than 2 angels together then they will bully one another. So four is a good number? Also, I will just go with the rainbow shark and not both sharks. I am going with pool filter sand, but I don't know what brand. The only one I can find is quikrete brand pool filter sand. Will that work?

I think 4 angels is a good number. I'm not familiar with the different brands of pool filter sand, but I'm sure that they are all good.

Hope it turns out well! Do it the right way and you'll enjoy the hobby better.

I will post pictures once I get it set up. I just don't wanna do something wrong and ruin it all.

Back
Top Bottom