Setting up fishroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puckhog429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I want to start breeding angelfish and rams and also grow plants to sell. I recently picked up a lot of tanks on craigslist for $2 a piece! So my list of ready to use tanks is: 3 20 gal longs, 3 ten gallons, 1 5.5 gallon, and a 30 gallon. Along with the tanks i got multiple lights, a brand new 100w heater, aq 110, aq 50, a cast iron stand that holds 2 of the 20s and a bunch of air pumps. I already have one of the ten gallons set up for growing java moss and fissidens fontanus with an aq 30 on it. Im 15 so I do have a budget. my plan is to make a rack that will hold the 30, 1 20, and the tens and 5.5. I will only breed one kind of fish at a time. So my questions are what should i do for filtration for the tanks? What filters that I already have should be on what tank? Sponge filters? (never used before) and thats about it.

Thanks for reading and for a reply:fish2:

I'm pretty sure breeders run air driven sponge filters, ease of maintenance and bio filtration plusses... not to mention running one big air pump vs. 10 hob ' s ..have any fissiden for sale yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

not yet got a small clump from a local guy i bought rcs from. Will probably be a month or 2 b4 I get enough to sell. Is there any particular kind of sponge filter you would reccomend? Also the pumps he gave me dont all work and it would be easier to have 1 pump for all the tanks. Ive seen people that have 1 large pump with multiple outputs. Is there any that are affordable that you would reccomend.
Tanks for the reply

Here my fish room air system hope it helps...run a closed looping system from alita 60 right now it's running 4 75g tanks, 6 10 gallon tanks 3 45g breeders a 20 g long a 20 g high and a 40 breeder.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1404080439500.jpg
    1404080439500.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 1404080462859.jpg
    1404080462859.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 72
I've been doing the same as you. I'm 15 and have like 8 tanks in my room. I've been breeding angels, german blue rams/ german gold rams, and cichlids. I've plants but I've never grown them out to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And send me a pick of ur setup elephantnose. I wanna check it out.
Im think of using one or two of the 20 gallons 1 ten and the 5.5 for plants. Would the 30, one 20 gallon long (maybe 2) and 2 ten gallons be enough tanks to raise them?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hey elephant since you have experience with rams i have a question. I picked up two of them at petsmart on sale about 4 days ago. Now they are digging these pits in my tank. What does this mean?
Heres a pic.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404089843.691038.jpg

Thanks

Rams naturally dig pits in sand either looking for food or staking territory's. If you know you have a pair they could be building an area to lay eggs. Are they defending the area? Do you know if you have a male or female?.
They are probably just sifting for food IMO.

Lots of the time they swim close to eachother and sometimes they are on opposite ends of the tank. Now the smaller one is kind of charging at the bigger one and its like wiggling a lot. Lol

I'd just say they were sifting for food. I'm getting ready to move in two months so I sold many of my pair and took down there setups. I currently have a pair of angels, a pair of german blue rams and a pair of golden rams in a 55g planted tank. Make sure you have slate in your tank as that's were angels and rams lay their eggs. First time parents are terrible about eating their eggs. So you'll need to have a nursery tank to artificially hatch the eggs. Most nursery tanks are just a bare bottom tank with a seeded sponge filter.

Your rams might be both males. It will be easier to tell when they color up a little more. Females have a unmistakable pink belly.

A seeded filter is a filter that was used on an old tank and all the beneficial bacteria is still alive to keep the parameters steady.
To artificially raise eggs you will need to remove the eggs after they have been fertilized. Put them in a tank with with an aureate below them. There is something your supposed to put in the water to prevent fungus from killing the eggs but I can't remember the name. The eggs will hatch in 3 days. Then they will be wigglers. You will need to start feeding them when they are free swimmers.
My angel pair has laid 6 times and every time one of them ate the eggs.

A air driven egg tumbler . And a seeded sponge filter is one that has been running in a cycled tank and has good bacteria already on it . And i use 2 air pumps to run my 11 tanks . A whisper air pump and a fusion one i just bought for 19.99 on amazon . Love it u can turn the dial back if u dont need so much air and it runs so quiet and runs about 7 things .

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom