Setting up new 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys I just have a couple questions about how i set up my new 60 gallon fresh water tank

I couldn't run my old 30 gallon at the same time and wait for my 60 to cycle so I had to add fish immediately. I used the majority of the gravel from the old tank and put it in the new one. I am also running the old filter at the same time as the new filter for all the bacteria and to help get the tank cycling. The new filter is a top fin 75 and the old filter is a top fin 30. I also put in 2 decorations from the old tank straight into the new tank to also help with the cycling. 30% of the new tank is filled with the old tanks water and then i added new water for the rest. I also used quicck start to get the cycling going faster.

After a couple hours of running it, I had to add my fish. I have 2 parrot fish, 1 silver dollar, 1 bala shark, and angelicus plecostomus. I have had these fish for close to 5 or 6 years and want to make sure i dont lose them.

I started this all sunday. I added prime to bring the ammonia down on monday. Tuesday, i did a 15 percent water change, and today i added the prime again.

Is there anything else i need to do to keep my fish safe? how often should i do water changes while cycling?

:thanks:

You are doing everything right and the best thing is to monitor your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate daily to see where you are in your cycling. With you using the old substrate and filter material you should have a good start on the cycling. Anyway I'd do a 50% WC weekly but while monitoring if your ammonia or nitrite go above .25 then you need to do a WC to bring the levels back down regardless of what your weekly WC schedule is.

ok, i didnt feed them for 2 days and just fed them todayy....might wait a couple days until i feed them again.....any advice on what kind of fish to add once im done cycling?

I'm not into the kind of fish you keep but I can tell you that the silver dollar would be better in a school and I think having an actual school of say 6 would make the tank look pretty nice. I did keep a school of silver dollars in the 80's and they make quite a sight seeing a school in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom