Setting up "new" tank, old existing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcgldr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an old clown loach about 5 inches long. There was a tan / biege algae problem with current tank (55 gallon show tank) so I transferred the fish and some of the original water to a 5 gallon tank, moving the air pump, heater, and a cannister filter (Eheim ecco 2234) that will have the biological stuff in it to the small tank.

I then drained the old tank. removed the gravel and under gravel filter setup, and cleaned it all by using a net to scoop out the problem beige colored slime algae that accumulated under the gravel filter, and rinsing everything off with tap water.

I put the undergravel filter setup back, which is compsed of 4 black slotted plastic panels connected together to form a single unit that lets water flow down through the gravel, then up via 2 short tubes on the corners where 2 submerged aqua clear 50 pumps circulate the water. Next I put the rocks back, partially filled the tank, then drained it to remove the rock "dust", then filled it again so that it's clear now. I added dechlorinator and deammonia (Amquel and NovAqua plus).

I have a second water heater I can use to get the water temperature the same.

The question is how long should I wait before transferring the old fish back into what is essentially a "new" tank?

If you rinsed any filter media in tap water your likely going to have to cycle your tank again. If not then you can put him in when the water is dechlorinated.

On a side note clown loaches prefer to be on groups. 3-4 is ok but I prefer 5-6. Also just in case they require a 55G.

Thanks for the quick responses.

If you rinsed any filter media in tap water your likely going to have to cycle your tank again. If not then you can put him in when the water is dechlorinated.
I didn't clean the cannister filter (eheim ecco 2234), which has filter media in it, I just transferred it, and air pump, and a heater to the temporary 5 gallon tank.

The cloan loach is a sole survivor of a tank my wife wanted to get rid of years ago. It's about 17 years old now, but not doing all that great, and I don't know how much more time it has. I just wanted to get the conditions as good as possible. I've tried to find someone that would take the fish but no luck.

I'm not sure why it's only 5 inches long. When we got it, it was less than an inch long. Is there more than one type of clown loach?

55 gallon tank
The main tank is a 55 gallon Tru-Vue acrylic tank.

rcgldr said:
I didn't clean the cannister filter (eheim ecco 2234), which has filter media in it, I just transferred it, and air pump, and a heater to the temporary 5 gallon tank.

The cloan loach is a sole survivor of a tank my wife wanted to get rid of years ago. It's about 17 years old now, but not doing all that great, and I don't know how much more time it has. I just wanted to get the conditions as good as possible. I've tried to find someone that would take the fish but no luck.

I'm not sure why it's only 5 inches long. When we got it, it was less than an inch long. Is there more than one type of clown loach?

The main tank is a 55 gallon Tru-Vue acrylic tank.

Thanks for the quick responses.

17 years old?! Clown loaches have a slow growth rate but it should be a lot bigger than 5" after 17 years.

If you need to find him a new home then post up an ad on craigslist or try calling to see if your LFS will take him.

Good luck.

Oh for your initial question you should be fine to put him back after the water is dechlorinated IMO.

dechlorinated
I'll give it an hour for the chemicals to do their job. Should it be OK to transfer the fish back again?

I assume I should monitor for ammonia for the next few days and do partial water changes if needed?

Most of them have gone out of business and the remaining one doesn't have a tank large enough or warm enough.

hey should be full grown after 17 years. was he in a tiny tank ay any point?
No, always in the 55 gallon tank, however we only had two clown loaches along with about 8 other fish in that tank (I saw this from an old home video taken back in 1994).

I like to usually wait longer but I was never really sure on how long it would take a water dechlorinator to do it's job.

I guess craigslist is your best bet.

ilostnemo said:
hey should be full grown after 17 years. was he in a tiny tank ay any point?

Even if it was would a stunted fish really last 17 years?

I like to usually wait longer but I was never really sure on how long it would take a water dechlorinator to do it's job.
Actually I put in 30 gallons then added the dechlorinator and ammonia remover, that was there for a bit over 2 hours. I added 15 more gallons and then added more dechlorinator and ammonia remover (the proper amount) and let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours before moving the stuff and finally the fish back. I also poured most of the original 5 gallons back, although not sure if that helps with the biologicals that much.

Anyway at least I feel I've done what I could to get the tank as nice as possible for the fish. That brown / tan / beige slimy algae stuff had covered the bottom of the tank under the gravel filter and at least that's gone.

Back
Top Bottom