Severe MTS, is there a cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettababe1011 said:
Watery MAN cave? What about us ladies involved? You don't think that the boyfriends or hubbies could try to say no?

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Believe me its a lot easier for you ladies to convince us dumb guys into something for you then it is for us to try and talk you lovely ladies into something we want lol. The key to your whole statement was "try" we can try and say no but you and I both know your going to get what you want in the long run... Fellas what do you think??

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

I have one tank, and I'm committed to keeping it that way. If I were to get another tank, it would have to be fish that are easier to keep than the ones I have now. Doing water changes as often as I do for the current tank, I'd be in no mood to do that for more than one tank. So maybe something simple...like tetras or something. But still....trying to keep it to one tank.

TommyLiNy said:
Believe me its a lot easier for you ladies to convince us dumb guys into something for you then it is for us to try and talk you lovely ladies into something we want lol. The key to your whole statement was "try" we can try and say no but you and I both know your going to get what you want in the long run... Fellas what do you think??

Yeah. Some of ladies definitely have the cuteness factor. Can't say no to the puppy dog eyes. Lol. My mom is the one who says no right now.

I don't think there is a cure for MTS - but I've managed to find my own personal "nicotine patch" if you will.

Every time I get a craving to go look for more fish, or for another tank - I take the amount of money I would've spent and I put it into a budget.

Then, I think of some piece of really expensive equipment that I could buy for my current tank.

So, I just keep applying that "impulse budget" to my big wishlist item, and then when I've mentally saved enough - I go for it. That way I'm not filling up my place with tanks that might get less-than-stellar care, but instead I'm able to give my 2 tanks some really top-of-the-line stuff.

(Example: Rather than spending on a new fake decoration almost every other week, I was able to save and buy an LED fixture that lets me grow real decorations. :D )

Bettababe1011 said:
Yeah. Some of ladies definitely have the cuteness factor. Can't say no to the puppy dog eyes. Lol. My mom is the one who says no right now.

Cuteness is a major factor lol... Moms are a different story though :)

Yeah, when you get to the teenage years, you can't really throw a good tantrum anymore. But somehow I almost always get my mom to give me what I want. I got the trait of manipulation from my dad and guilt trips from my mom. Lol.

For me, the cure was being only able to truly focus on one tank at a time. In the future, I think I am going to only have separate tanks for grow out purposes (ie: for plants).

I'm hoping the 125 gallon tank I'm looking for will be my cure. Then I'll have an even four. It better cure me cause I'm seriously out of room in this house. lol

People walk into my house and are like..woah..she's the crazy fish lady. I admit it..I am. A dozen tanks at this point. Seriously out of room. There's 5 tanks in my kitchen alone..

I have to admit, Im also an addict. I have a disease called CCD (Compulsive Collectors Disorder). Im on 5 tanks right now, in the process of designing/building a 240g tank for the center of my living room. It wont stop there.

How the heck do you guys afford all that extra electric!?

Seriously! I calculated mine out to be about $70 a year (or something like that, lol, IDR) Maybe I'm just a stingy, but that's like.. Groceries. Multiply that times however many tanks PLUS water changes and all that goes along with it. Ohmuhgoodness.

Yeah I guarantee that my water bill is effected more than my electric bill... 50% pwc's weekly is ~150g... multiplied by 4 is ~600 gallons a month. Over the course of a year, that's 7200 gallons.

wheewww glad i am not alone...I can also attest to the MTS. From december to now, I had 4 tanks..all planted. 3 of them are fishless cycling and my very first one is also cycling with fish (newbie mistake as we all know)....

But after I got my 4th one, I think I was cured. I am determined to be cured because my apartment is not the biggest. I have one in the kitchen, one in the living room and 2 in my bedroom...

So that is enough for me...

+ with MFD with the live plants...very very addicting. More addicting than having more tanks.

Marconis said:
How the heck do you guys afford all that extra electric!?

Mines never been more then $40 even during the summer when we have the a.c's crankin in the house during the summer.

I agree on the water changes adding up to more then the electric... Never really though of it gallons wise but OUCH ... It hurts my back more the my wallet lol

That's good then that your electric bills don't go up too much. I'm like Jenatron...I pay anywhere from $70-$90 a month for electric for this apartment and scream at my brother when he leaves a light on! Lol. LUCKILY we have free water here in NYC. Wooo

Wow my electric is about $165 and I don't even have electric heat :( Plus water is usually $45. Weird I never noticed either go up as my tanks have increased. None of them are big though :)

Ha... as far as electric, mine is about $120 a month on average... sometimes higher in the colder winter months. March, April, September, and October are usually the cheapest months ;)

Btw, your water might be 'free'.. but you're paying for it somehow ;)

Back
Top Bottom