Severum Issues in Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbily16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In my current tank I have two great looking red shoulder severums that are both still young. When we bought them they were from the same tank full of other red shoulder severums just like themselves. When we brought them home and put them into the tank they were getting along very well and there were no issues or anything and the tank was peaceful. As time progressed the bigger severum has begun to chase the other severum around the tank. It chases it and attempts to bite the other severum (Chunks of fin have not been taken out of the severum being harassed). Now the severum getting punked usually just hides around the filter and is hesitant to swim freely around the tank because whenever he comes out he usually gets punked by the other severum. I believe that this has even stunted the other severums growth and has made put him under constant stress (he still eats a lot of food though).

I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips or tricks that could help me "restore order" in my tank and settle the severums down? I really like both the fish and don't want to have to return or send back either of them.

Thanks guys!
-H

Can you give some more info about the tank size and inhabitants?
I have six Severums in my tank and they get along well enough, minor squabbles. Setting up special territories and using plants or decor to break their line of sight from one another may be a way of discouraging fighting as a starting point.

Can you give some more info about the tank size and inhabitants?
I have six Severums in my tank and they get along well enough, minor squabbles. Setting up special territories and using plants or decor to break their line of sight from one another may be a way of discouraging fighting as a starting point.
Of course. So it's a 40 gallon community tank with a good variety of fish. 2 severums, 3 silver dollars, 3 danilos, 3 tetras, and 3 orange tailed sharks. The severum doing the bullying gets along with all of the other fish in the tank just fine. That's why I'm not sure if it's just a dominance thing or what. But I could really use some help here.

Thanks!
-H

Ok...let's see what we can do, and please don't take offense to any of these suggestions I do really want to help.
Danios and tetras are shoaling species that should ideally be kept in groups of six or more, that being said it sounds like yours are doing ok at the moment.
Red tail sharks have high conspecific aggression and can reach 6" in length. A 55 gallon or larger would be the best tank size to accommodate them and normally they should not be kept with other red tail sharks.
Silver dollars get enormous and again really require groups to feel secure. I wouldn't keep them in less than a 90g at adult size.
Severums also get quite large.
I have six baby sevs and 2 silver dollars in a 150g and when the sevs get adult size I know I'll have to rehome some of them due to aggression if they start to breed. I only have 2 SDs because they're 15 years old and if I get more I'll definitely have an overstocked tank.
If you can get a larger tank, that would really be best. It's likely that there are so many territorial fish in the tank that you will see bullying because not everyone will get their own space. If you can increase the decor/plants to help make more distinct territories and give the fish more places to hide that may help.
Otherwise I would really consider rethinking the tank size or the stock.
Please keep us posted and good luck!

Ok...let's see what we can do, and please don't take offense to any of these suggestions I do really want to help.
Danios and tetras are shoaling species that should ideally be kept in groups of six or more, that being said it sounds like yours are doing ok at the moment.
Red tail sharks have high conspecific aggression and can reach 6" in length. A 55 gallon or larger would be the best tank size to accommodate them and normally they should not be kept with other red tail sharks.
Silver dollars get enormous and again really require groups to feel secure. I wouldn't keep them in less than a 90g at adult size.
Severums also get quite large.
I have six baby sevs and 2 silver dollars in a 150g and when the sevs get adult size I know I'll have to rehome some of them due to aggression if they start to breed. I only have 2 SDs because they're 15 years old and if I get more I'll definitely have an overstocked tank.
If you can get a larger tank, that would really be best. It's likely that there are so many territorial fish in the tank that you will see bullying because not everyone will get their own space. If you can increase the decor/plants to help make more distinct territories and give the fish more places to hide that may help.
Otherwise I would really consider rethinking the tank size or the stock.
Please keep us posted and good luck!
Thank you very much I appreciate the help. I will definitely take all those points into consideration.

Thanks!
-H

Baby severums in a tank are not a problem, is once they start growing and these have to be one of the fastest growing fish I've had.
On the other side of the coin, severums by themselves are peaceful and a beautiful fish that does well with Angels and some of the other not so aggressive bigger tank mates.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom