Sex this Blue Ram please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I picked up a ram today and I'm having trouble sexing it. Its seems to close for me to call! So i'm hiring you guys to help.

img2126.jpg

Here is my current male ram, they don't look anywhere near the same.

img1884q.jpg

Thanks for the help

Looks like a female to me, but the Male took an initial dislike to the new Ram this afternoon. If it is a female is this normal?

that's a female. she might be the twin sis to mine ahaha. she looks just like the one in my pair.

So what about the whole... My male was being a punk to the new female earlier then? Is this normal when you add a new fish? Will the male likely adapt or am I in for a dead female?

time will tell. i went to the fish shop and when my fish guy stuck the net in the male was always on this females tail, so i told him that i had to have that male. i got home, put them in the tank and they are in love. haha but if you are trying to force marriage it may take a little more time or a few more females. usually to force you should put in 6 or 8 germans, in this case, and see which ones pair up, but that would be costly. so just give it time, good luck.

I don't care about forcing marriage that would just be a good side effect. I just wanna make sure my male doesn't kill $9.00 worth of fish.

yah i know and agree, i had the same problem i needed my couple to make it through the night with my firemouth who is now gone. your female shouldn't get killed, just pray for her. and it wouldn't be a bad idea to ad another female either. if she pairs up with the male you could add another male or bring the "less attractive" female to a fish store for another fish or some carbon for your filter. haha

Haha well we'll see how it goes for now I suppose. I'll just monitor for as much as possible. I believe the store I went to has a 3 day policy so I will just watch through monday. I drip acclimated so there should be no reason for her to have trouble adapting.

i think they may be hardier than everyone says. they'll adapt to their surroundings. just keep pushing them to fall for eachother. be a love doctor

Do you have any better pics of the fish? I'm interested in seeing the length of the pelvic fins for more accurate sexing. It looks mostly female but if the male is being territorial towards the fish that may be preventing the rams whose sex is in question of showing it's true colors. It may actually be a male that isn't showing it's colors because there is a dominant male in the tank.

You can't force any fish to pair up with another. It's THEIR choice, not yours. The only thing that YOU have control over is their environment and things like water temperature, amount and types of food, how often water changes are done, decorations, tankmates, etc. Any of these can entice them to spawn but when it comes down to it it is not YOUR choice but theirs.

My feeling is that since the male has acted this way to the fish they won't ever pair. Males are generally interested in spawning and they don't usually deny females...another reason I think the fish could actually be a male. It's also possible that the male thinks that there is simply another fish invading "his" territory and he was defending it.

All the "obvious signs" tell me that it's a female but I've seen a "female" with a pink belly before spawn with an undoubtedly female ram producing wigglers. I'm just puzzled by the lack of coloration on the fish. It's not immature because it looks fairly large and appears to have the shape of a female, front dorsal rays of a female, pelvic fins appear short, though not clear and that indicates female, and shape of the head indicates female as well. The actions by the male in the tank indicate a threat so this would imply that the fish is male or possibly the male already in the tank was previously paired and isn't accepting of this new suspected female. It does happen, and if this is the case he may never spawn with this "female".

Whatever the case may be, and I don't mean any offense by this, but if the sex of a ram is EVER in question that ram isn't worth having in my opinion. Either the fish is sick, stressed, or just has bad genes. At any rate, I'd take it back and look for a better colored female. Just my two cents.

i kind of have to agree with bs. my female shares a lot more color than this one in the picture does. maybe the male is seeing something wrong with her for obv. reasons. this may be your best bet.

All the "obvious signs" tell me that it's a female but I've seen a "female" with a pink belly before spawn with an undoubtedly male ram producing wigglers. I'm just puzzled by the lack of coloration on the fish. It's not immature because it looks fairly large and appears to have the shape of a female, front dorsal rays of a female, pelvic fins appear short, though not clear and that indicates female, and shape of the head indicates female as well. The actions by the male in the tank indicate a threat so this would imply female or possible the male was previously paired and isn't accepting of this new female. It does happen, and if this is the case he may never spawn with this "female".

Well the colorations and all that may be out of wack because I took that pic like an hour after bringing it home.

Man I'm having trouble getting a decent ram in my area. And so is my friend! I guess the best thing would be to take it back tomorrow you think?

naa not worth the risk cause I only have a small window to take it back lol

Definitely take it back. If it isn't colored up by now it won't ever color up nicely. I have an abundance of females that I'm growing out and seem to be lacking in males. They are excellent stock being half wild blood and I should have 2-3 ready to go very soon. I'll send you a PM with details.

Back
Top Bottom