Sex this german blue ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty sure based on 2nd pic it's a male. Most females I've seen have some pink on the belly, and head shape is different

They're two different fish I'm 95% positive the 2nd pic is a male. But the one in the first pic I'm not sure. The owner of the store thought it was a female out of the 20 GBRs they had none had pink bellies. I'm hoping to find out because if it's a male (a not so pretty on at that) id Like to trade it for a female.

I think the top one in the first pic might be based on head shape alone. Can't tell for sure though

The 3rd dorsal fin ray is a little tall, indicating possibly male..can you get a picture when it's a little more colored up? If the black spot shows some blue "sparkles" through it, there's a good chance it's female. If not, maybe male. Hard to say!

I'm pretty sure both of those are male. The dorsal fin extends back over the tail fin. I, on the other hand, was sold four females and told one may have been male due to its personality... Nope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll probably take it back. I still have the receipt. In the tank at the store there was two really bright ones and a lot of dull ones surrounding them. I bought a bright one and the store owner picked a dull one saying it was a female.

Look at the top fin - if it doesn't extend over the tail fin, it's very likely a female. If you're looking to pair him, I'd get a couple females to increase his chances of pairing. One female isn't a guarantee that they'll pair. If you're looking just to add another, then never mind. ;)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm hoping to pair them. But since it's almost impossible to sex them at my LFS I might just end up with more males. And just wondering will a GBR pair with a GGR.

I was going to say both female. I have a male golden ram and have seen and I'd many gbrs. Males have the dorsal rays that are much longer and easy to see.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom