Sexing black lyretail mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xGerrard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two, and looked everywhere on the internet to be able to compare, wondering if anyone has any photos of information which could help me?

I was thinking that if i have a male moving it into a separate tank with my female dalamation mollie to breed.

Look at their anal fins. The male's will be pointed (Gonopodium) and the female's should be more rounded. Livebearers are one of the easier of fishes to ID sex.

can you upload a picture?,that way experienced fish keeper in here can help you...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here are my two black lyretail mollies. Unfortunately the one at the bottom doesnt seem to swim around a lot, I however believe it's a female and she's pregnant, she swims round rarely, occupying the same place by the starfish lying on the floor. Her belly is very rounded and plump, however I'm not sure. I have had two unexpected deaths of dalmation mollies this morning and since have added a moss ball and air rock into my tank and done 25% water change and bought two female dalmation mollies. Any help regarding the sex of my mollies would be great, i know the pictures aren;t the best but they're the best i can take. Also if anone knows what's wrong with my one mollie that would be awesome, thank you!!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 223
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 181
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 128
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 120
Top one in the first pic is male. I can't see the anal fin on the other.

One at bottom was pregnant, had premature birth last night, sadly don't think any of the fry's survived

1 female, 1 male. Can you tell us tank size? Do you have a api test kit to use to see water parameters?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Almost looks like two females to me but hard to tell cause their so tucked in and startled looking

Tank is 22.6 litre hexagon shaped. & no I don't, getting one the weekend, the lfs about an hour away so bit hard to travel there and back

The tanks not big enough for platies(needing like 10gallons) let alone mollys (needing like 30 gallons )

It looks big enough for me Don't understand the issue?

Their maximum size, bio load, territories. They are all factors. Honestly in a 5 gallon maybe a betta would be okay. A tiger Oscar looks like it fits too but it grows huge and has a huge bio load and swimming habits!

Back
Top Bottom