Sexing Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I am not sure what I am going to do yet.... I'm going to let them try and raise without interfering. But hopes are not high because the male has basically left her to herself.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In most cases if you can see the vent there should be eggs soon.
This is often why it is so hard to properly sex many SA , and also the only time you can say for sure with many of them who is who.
Congrats and start up the live food cultures!

Yeah, I am not sure what I am going to do yet.... I'm going to let them try and raise without interfering. But hopes are not high because the male has basically left her to herself.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The male is either defending his territory as a whole while she guards the spawn or he plans on moving to the next girl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, its pretty interesting now (they didn't eat their young last night "yet"). The male seemed to be hiding on the other side of the tank last night. Now he seems to be back into the fold, quite interesting their interactions (M and F), seems like the Female nods her head, and the male comes over and fans the eggs. Then she gives another nod/quiver and they switch places.

Very interesting how they are interacting!

I'm not really surprised the eggs are still there, bolivians are much better parents than blues.

I also did some more digging and found the original description for M. sp. Zweifleck and although it's odd that your fish show a caudal spot, Zweifleck's is equal in size to the lateral spot. It doesn't really matter because your fish are very nice.

I'm not really surprised the eggs are still there, bolivians are much better parents than blues.

I also did some more digging and found the original description for M. sp. Zweifleck and although it's odd that your fish show a caudal spot, Zweifleck's is equal in size to the lateral spot. It doesn't really matter because your fish are very nice.

Yeah, I am not sure they're Two Spot, if they're to be equal size. Only 1 of the Rams exhibits 2 spots they other 4 don't, and that one is def not equal in size.

Very happy with them, one day I will step into the GBR arena with Yunite SDRAMS. But for now, Ill focus on getting the hang of these guys, which is just an awesome crew!

Yeah, I am not sure they're Two Spot, if they're to be equal size. Only 1 of the Rams exhibits 2 spots they other 4 don't, and that one is def not equal in size.

Very happy with them, one day I will step into the GBR arena with Yunite SDRAMS. But for now, Ill focus on getting the hang of these guys, which is just an awesome crew!

Yes they are it's been a while since ive seen a group like that.

Update:

Well they did hatch, and they became free swimming, they lasted about 1 day free swimming before being eaten. Which is ok, I was going to let nature take its course this time, since I am leaving for vacation ~5 days, and there was no way i could provide the care required to raise and feed the fry 4 times a day along w/ WC. So I hope that I can get them to spawn again (just not so dang close to my vacation).

Thanks Again Phil, for all the info!

Yeah that's par for the course, but so is losing the next couple until they get the hang of what they are doing.

Update:
Jeez, they just keep making babies! I have 2 females producing babies, so this is now my 3rd spawn in this tank!

So a question if you can answer, I am 99.9% sure i have 3 females, 2 males. The 3rd female, has not spawned with anyone and seems to be chased away (2 spawn sites at the moment). Should I move her out, or just add more breaks in lines of sight? Its a 40G Breeder so there is LOTS of room.

Personally I would move her just in case. You have 2 females that are producing.

Back
Top Bottom