Sexing for German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazyK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased some Blue Rams and needed some verification on sexing, I had one male for sure but it passed away not too long ago. Any help on these would be great. thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 98
Kinda hard to tell but looks like all females, def that last one but the first two could be iffy but I'm strongly leaning towards all females

Ok. Would females attack and kill males? Because the second one fought almost every minute with the actual male that I had. I figured they would eventually space out because of the 55gal planted environment but one morning I just woke up to a dead and beaten up ram.

Last edited:
The head looks a little more sloped, and the dot looks male to me. Then add it was fighting with known male = male if te dosal spike is pronounced as well it'd be a sure thing

For the second ram its back fin is the highest/pointest mohawk of them all so I"m gonna assume that that also contributes to the male side as well?

Well would 2 females lay eggs? They both have been hovering over a piece of slate and atleast one has been scooting across it...could it be possible that 2 females are laying eggs even without a male to fertilize them?

The larger more colorful one is the one I keep seeing scooting on the rock but both are chasing all the other fish from that corner...

Back
Top Bottom