Sexing Rainbow sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liggs17

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone know how? A student of mine wishes to try and breed hers. I don't have any idea of the difficulty, but I told her I'd see what I could find after we tried googling the subject unsuccesfully during a study hall. Any info would be appreciated.

Liggs

sharks

Hello,

My name is Bill, I am a 45 year old aquarist and breeder. Back in the 1970's, while still a teenager I was interested in breeding red tail sharks. Not rainbow sharks, but the similar red tail. I had great success and bred 4 pairs with regularity and sold the young.

I would imagine their natural breeding behaviors are the same. Nowadays the rainbow sharks are bred artificailly by injection of gonadatrophic hormones to produce ova and sperm. Females of both species are easy to spot when they are healthy fed adults.

The females are of course, much fatter and less colorful than the slim males. When injected with harmones the females are easily separated from the males and from then on it is a matter of keeping proven males and females in different tanks.

I would like to see your student achieve spawning without hormone injection, I did it with the red tails and I found it easy. Bill

Back
Top Bottom