shark question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right I have....
5 male guppies,
2 swordtails,
1 male betta,
4 neon tetras,
1 Molly and 2 pitbull plecs. Also some assassin snails. Filtration I'm running a biomax xl rated for 500litres

What about a couple more neons and 4-6 julii or panda cories? :)

siva said:
What about a couple more neons and 4-6 julii or panda cories? :)

I had more neons but for some strange reason they just don't last in my tank? Been through about 30 of them in the past 6 months?? It's so weird. I'll take a look at the other though, cheers

You know I had the exact same problem. Out of 27 I have 1 left. Then I went and bought 6 from a different location and still have all 6. If you acclimate them slowly and keep up on your pwc's, then maybe it's just bad stock.

I've had them from 3 different stores but never works out? I bought 10 about 2 weeks ago and 5 of them died within 48hours? Strange coz all the other fish are five, just seems to be neons?

Homedog98 said:
They're just such an overbred fish. It's hard to find any good stock anymore!

Agreed!! There's probably some sort of disease going around, and the fish hasn't developed immunity to it yet

I've had them from 3 different stores but never works out? I bought 10 about 2 weeks ago and 5 of them died within 48hours? Strange coz all the other fish are five, just seems to be neons?

Yes, they just aren't as hardy as they used to be. It can be tough to find good stock. How do you acclimate them?

Same way I do with all my fish, leave the bag in the tank for 20mins, let some tank water in, leave for another 10mins then release into the tank, add a small amount of food then turn the lights off for an hour or two

I'll probably get jumped all over for this but if you plan on upgrading I don't see a problem with a Bala shark... I know they get big but they grow really really slow. Just my opinion ( any fry from the guppies, mollies, etc would have to be removed though) I'd personally stay away from rainbow sharks, very pretty fish but I have never had a docile one...

I find it really does help if you take a bit more time. I remove bag water/add tank water several times before adding to tank.

All probably get jumped all over for this but if you plan on upgrading I don't see a problem with a Bala shark... I know they get big but they grow really really slow. Just my opinion ( any fry from the guppies, mollies, etc would have to be removed though) I'd personally stay away from rainbow sharks, very pretty fish but I have never had a docile one...

I have a pretty docile rainbow shark. A bala does get too big, and they are really schoolers that do best in groups so IMO they just aren't an option.

pendergraft2111 said:
I'll probably get jumped all over for this but if you plan on upgrading I don't see a problem with a Bala shark... I know they get big but they grow really really slow. Just my opinion ( any fry from the guppies, mollies, etc would have to be removed though) I'd personally stay away from rainbow sharks, very pretty fish but I have never had a docile one...

I had a super docile rainbow in a ten gallon when I was a newbie. They really have a bad rap. But here comes my rant. It makes no sense to me to buy a fish that you know you can't handle.

Ok thanks for the advice. I'm gonna take a trip to my lfs tomorrow and see if they've got anything interesting? I really like the look of then peacock gudgeons, beautiful looking fish. Anyone got anything to say about them?

I do. =] I have 2, a breeding pair. They're absolutely fabulous. They move and look almost like saltwater fish, they're so incredibly interesting.

you could probably have a very young red-tail or ruby shark if you dont have a bottom dweller, but as this grows you have a huge problem, the large and older it gets the aggression comes with it so unless you want to mess about and keep swaping fish before they grow its a no. 55g is the minimum as states by many before, a silver shark is not aggressive but will outgrow your tank. If you do upgrade your tank to at least a 55g you can keep a red-tail or ruby/albino shark but stricktly only one, otherwise they will kill each other.

Just for those that are interested, I've ordered some peacock gudgeons from my lfs, should be here in a week or so. They are also known as peacock gobys (which made them easier to track down) Thanks for all ya help with the shark issue

Just for those that are interested, I've ordered some peacock gudgeons from my lfs, should be here in a week or so. They are also known as peacock gobys (which made them easier to track down) Thanks for all ya help with the shark issue

Make sure to acclimate them properly!

Back
Top Bottom