shark question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a 30g community tank with plecs, mollies, swordtails, guppies and a male betta. I'm wondering if a shark will be ok in there with the rest, I've got plenty of rocks and plants in there for hiding in. I'm thinking of a red finned shark?

You could probably get away with a red tailed black shark, depending on the individual fish's attitude. I just purchased one, he's very docile. Although he has claimed his piece of driftwood and keeps my pleco out of it. But It shouldn't be a problem. I really wouldn't try any other kinds, such as bala or iridescent, they get large and very aggressive.

Unfortunately, no kind of shark with work for you. The red-finned kind is either a red-tail black shark or a rainbow shark, neither of which should live in anything less than 55 gallons with that much horizontal swim space.

I really wouldn't recommend it. Even the small ones get about 5-6 inches and need a lot of swimming space. You're better off putting one in a 55 or larger.

Unfortunately, as rosenweiss stated above, they need at least 55g of swimming room

Ok thanks anyway I was just trying to think if more interesting fish to add to my community. I've already got away with a male betta but my tank looks a bit bare.

Your options are limitless. Have you considered a German Blue or a Bolivian ram? Like sharks, they hang towards the bottom, but they are beautiful cichlids. Also, you could research a pair of peacock gudgeons.

Well without knowing how many of those other fish you have it's hard to give stocking advice. Unfortunately red tails are too big and active for a 30 gal. Your tank just isn't long enough to give an active 4"+ shark adequate space.

Ok thanks anyway I was just trying to think if more interesting fish to add to my community. I've already got away with a male betta but my tank looks a bit bare.

What exactly is in the tank already and what is your filtration? Maybe we can help you suggest a more suitable centerpeice fish :)

Is love some chiclids but I thought they are quite aggressive? Especially with the betta? I've not heard of the second ones you mentioned, I'll take a look. Thanks

You're welcome. Actually the rams are the most peaceful of the cichlids, or among the most peaceful, so they often do well in community tanks. Though I'm unsure of how they would go with a betta.

Rosenweiss said:
You're welcome. Actually the rams are the most peaceful of the cichlids, or among the most peaceful, so they often do well in community tanks. Though I'm unsure of how they would go with a betta.

I'm about to figure that out lol. I'll keep you posted.

Right I have....
5 male guppies,
2 swordtails,
1 male betta,
4 neon tetras,
1 Molly and 2 pitbull plecs. Also some assassin snails. Filtration I'm running a biomax xl rated for 500litres

IME rams and bettas do not mix ;) Of course there will always be the exception, but in general, I would not recommend it.

King males bettas and rams do great, but I wouldn't put a crowntail, or a veiltail in with them. best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom