sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
if i were to put a shark catfish, an albino shark, and an iridescant shark in a 16 gal tank what else would i be able to combine with with them in the tank?
tia

Nothing....and even that combo would be disastrous, since the shark cat (a schooling species, by the by) will get 18" and eventually needs heavy brackish to full marine, and the irirdescent shark will eventually grow to 3'-4' long. You need to seriously rethink this 16 gallon, or get a 700 gallon tank instead.

I agree with Toirtis. There are only a few sharks that can be housed in a home aquarium unless it's pretty darn big.

You should let that person know those fish will not be happy in that small tank.

People never read up on anything before they buy it do they??? I guess everyone goes through that at first though... I was dumb enough when I started to put two kissing gouramis in a 10 gallon tank. Yes one lived for almost 7 years, but was a 9" fish happy in a 10 gallon tank?

I'm glad I'm noticing that "some" of the people they are getting in pet stores now are starting to at least try to head people off by qualifying them first. I was thrilled to death a couple weeks ago when I bought 4 algae eaters at Petsmart, and the employee stopped to ask what size tank I had first. Also got to watch another employee (I was just getting ready to jump in if she hadn't) school a woman who wanted to buy some Convict cichlids along with some clown loaches... Glad the employee knew better.

I had my redtail shark in a 10 gallon with 3 yo-yo loaches for prolly 2+ years.

Never had any luck with shark cats (even when smaller) ... I think mostly due to the brackish water thing.

I have a red tail shark who doing just fine with my barbs in a 29g. Its entertaining watching them piss eachother off.

A Columbian Shark Cat does not need brackish or full marine. I had one for 2 years and it was normal fw...with a teaspoon of aquarium salt every other week..
and as long as you dont feed him like crazy and over do it he wont grow that big...my got up to about 3-4" i believe
and i also had a irredescent...grow according to their enviroment, had him for 2.5 years he got about 4" inches

DEFINITELY DONT PUT THEM IN THE 16 GALLON..THAT'S CRAZY

nitrous said:
if i were to put a shark catfish, an albino shark, and an iridescant shark in a 16 gal tank what else would i be able to combine with with them in the tank?
tia

How 'bout an orca, a nurse shark, and a walrus? :p :p

and as long as you dont feed him like crazy and over do it he wont grow that big...my got up to about 3-4" i believe

Columbian's do in fact reach at least 12 to 24" in size. They do not belong in anything less than a 100 gal tank by themselves. With additional tankmates, a larger tank is needed. Check out this page for the Profile . It lists them as needing brackish conditions.

and i also had a irredescent...grow according to their enviroment, had him for 2.5 years he got about 4" inches

Completely Myth. Fish become deformed from being in an environment that is too small for their size. They die prematurely.

Back
Top Bottom