Shattered tank with fish inside! What do I do now?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McClapyourhands

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today I was cleaning and shifted my tank over to the side...in the process it shattered. (It isan old tank) Broken glass, rocks, plants, fish, and shrimp went EVERYWHERE! Surprisingly, all fish seem to be in good condition. 3 pgmy corrys and 4 platies. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 shrimp didn't make it. I was able to save some of the water. Currently my fish are in a small tub with filter and a heater and the plants. (I will attempt to add pictures) This is a super short term temporary home. Which leads me to my questions.
1. I need to quick start another tank for them. Any suggestions? Like I said, I have maybe 2 gallons of water from the broken tank and the majority of the subtrate.
2. I am really concerned that there may be glass floating around. What is your opinion on using the rocks again? Or getting it out? Is it oksy? What about in the left over water?
3. Clean up...the water went onto carpeting...has anyone had experience cleaning up fish water from carpet. We jave used a shockvac and carpet cleaner to wash. Just wondering if there was any other ideas/ things I forgot.

Obviously it has been an eventful few hours. I will hopefully be getting anew tank in the morning and starting it up. Any advise is helpful. 20170629_181927.jpg

First of all, keep that filter media wet in tank water! You said you had the filter running in the tub? Good. I wouldn't try to save anything from the old tank. Just get a new tank, fill it, dechlorinate it, run your filter from the old tank for a couple hours (which is where a good portion of your BB is anyway) and keep on top of water parameters. I'd do a water change in the morning in the tub also. Very carefully of course.

Sorry to hear your losses but glad you were able to save most of them. We're you able to save any filter media inside the filter when it shattered? If you were able to save some of the media I would stick the filter on a square 5 gallon bucket or large storage box like the ones you can get from Walmart. Fill it with water test it with prime and continue to treat it every 24 hours with a partial water change. Stick the filter on the square bucket or storage box with the heater inside. Shouldn't have to worry about lights in the emergency situation. The beneficial bacteria that loves in the filter should help keep it from going into a full cycle if you were able to keep it from drying out. Also I would stick an air stone on the opposite corner of the filter just to keep surface agitation up to help keep it oxygenated. A large plastic storage box would probably be the best option since it will allow you to keep the most water. Very little of your beneficial bacteria reside in the water you save and I would get rid of it due to hazards that could be floating in it like you said. As far as cleaning it I might would get a steam cleaner then shampoo and vacuum it after shampooing. I hope this can help you out some. I'll do what I can to help you out some

Update: All fish are still living! I did a partial water change on the "tub" with the fish in it. I had a bucket of water with the old filter inside running through the night. Checked the levels this morning:
ammonia 0
Nitrates all 0
PH 7.5
Alkalinity between 120-180
I bought new rocks and the new tank today and will be setting it up soon.
As for the carpet I did do the cleaning with shampoo and a nice steaming. Left it over night with a fan on it.
Told the guy at the aqurium store about the experience, he suggested using Turbostart? A live bacteria culture. I am not sure I want to use this if my levels are okay. Have either of you had experience with using this?

I just recently used Seachem Stability and API Quickstart on my most recent tank with a successful cycling process. Heard great reviews on Dr Tim's "One and Only" which is a live nitrifying bacteria. I believe Seachem Stability is safe to use while doing a fish in cycle. Were you able to keep your filter media from drying out while setting up the emergency tub?

Yes I saved the media. I am currently waiting to transfer my fish over. Unfortunately, I had one of my fish jump out of the tub this afternoon and I did not see it till it was too late.
After adding all the water my ammonia levels went up slightly. (Between 0-.2) We will wait and see what happens

Hate you had one jump out of the tub on you. Glad you were able to save the media though. With the original media being there I think it should start cycling the ammonia out

I think it worked! I added a little Turbostart to help with the ammonia levels and it went down, after a few hours. Everyone was added back in the and seem pleased. I am missing some plants on the right. I need to buy new ones.

Putting the old media in the bucket of water and letting it cycle over night was a huge help. I think it really saved my tank and the time of cycling. I had to add in slightly more water than I thought. This didn't get to have the media sit in it which I think is one of the reasons why my ammonia levels jumped. I will continue to monitor the water's levels but all looks well! I attached a picture. You can see the little pgmy coradoras in the background.thank you everyone for your help! 20170701_110133.jpg

I'm glad to hear things are working out, though I'm sorry for the fish you lost and the hassle this must have been. Despite the mishap, you handled it really well and it's nice to see your plants and fish are settling in.

+1 on handling it well and glad everything smoothly for you while setting up the new tank. I'm glad to see you got everything installed and the your fish back in a nice new home. You probably lost a good bit of beneficial bacteria if you had to throw the rocks and substrate away. Those are also places the BB like to live. Glad to be able to help you out though

Just and update. Fish are all doing great and water levels continue to be in good shape. I have been watching them like a hawk! Thank you both again for tour help!

Good News! When something like that happens it can be traumatic for everyone, fish, shrimp and people! The best was saving the media and acting fast. It is common to see a mini cycle but looks like you should be in the clear now. Still test for the month to be sure.

Good News! When something like that happens it can be traumatic for everyone, fish, shrimp and people! The best was saving the media and acting fast. It is common to see a mini cycle but looks like you should be in the clear now. Still test for the month to be sure.
Absolutely a crazy party of it all, today while testing my water, I found these guys swimming around. Apparently someone was keeping a secret! I got them all into a separate location away from the adults, hopefully the waster stays healthy for them.
20170710_225713.jpg20170710_225622.jpg20170710_170341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom