Shipping fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to know EVERYTHING about how to ship fw fish including fry. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

I've never shipped fish before but I've received them a few times. They were in kordon breather bags in a box lined with styrofoam and foil. If its cold I'd assume you would want a heat pack in there. I think it's best if they are small juveniles. Don't feed them for a few days before you ship to reduce the waste. I'm sure more experience people will add to or change some of this.

Severum Mama has great info about that! It is a listing under her signature. I saw one where it wasn't there. You can go to her profile "about me" and it is under her signature there!

It was awesome info to know!

There is an article in the article section here too, search shipping fish.

Thank you sooo very much. After reading this article I do have a few questions.
1: is Prime and Tetra Safe Start the same thing?
2: I have saved all of the bags I have brought my original fish home in from LFS. Would those work for fish?
Thanks again everyone!!

One more question. What length of heat pack is best for tropical fw fish? I would think the 30 due to how hot they get, plus time needed for shipping. However I read the 20 is better for fish.

I got 20+ hour heat packs specially for shipping tropical fish on amazon. I am actually learning on shipping fish too, I am starting a small business here lol everyone wants my live plants and fish now

Thank you sooo very much. After reading this article I do have a few questions.
1: is Prime and Tetra Safe Start the same thing?
2: I have saved all of the bags I have brought my original fish home in from LFS. Would those work for fish?
Thanks again everyone!!

1. No. Prime is a dechlorinator + conditioner, safestart is something you use to speed up your cycle.
2. Probably so.

One more question. What length of heat pack is best for tropical fw fish? I would think the 30 due to how hot they get, plus time needed for shipping. However I read the 20 is better for fish.

For plants I have never used a heat pack, but for fish and inverts I would use at least a 40 hour heat pack for express shipping and a 72 hour heat pack for priority. look at Kens Fish - Home of quality tropical fish food and supplies to buy them, that's where I got mine.

I got Kordon breather bags and heat packs from MVP on aquabid, super fast shipper, if you buy it now it will likely be shipped the next morning even now in the middle of the night if you buy chances are will ship! Think he said paid by 10 CST will ship that day. Good communication.

Back
Top Bottom