Shipping Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I sent a package out on Monday, USPS priority from WA State, do you think it would make it to Florida by the holidays?
I need to ship some snails and I don't want them to have to sit around for days.
Thanks!

This time of year ship overnight when dealing with livestock. I just orders some snails and crabs they are stuck at the post office over night since the mail man was a little late today. In the morning I will drag myself out to get them so I can get them acclimated before work. I hope they heck they don't take them back out before I get to the post office.

Well I have heating pads for them so they won't freeze, I just want them to get to her before X-mas. I was just wondering if it they would make it across the country in 3 days. I am thinking with all the mail right now, they won't.

Snails shoudl be no problem. FYI, the USPS still moves mail on Sundays. Take it there on Sat and it shoud arrive Mon/Tue for example. Snails are very hard to kill IME. Also, when sending them out in water, make the water 90 degrees to start with. They can easily tolerate that. I've sent out fish in far worse conditions and the arrived 7 days later (supposed to be 2) and were all alive. Outside temps were in the low to mid 20's both here and the destination of the package.

i had some mts live in damp gravel for over 2 weeks outside in 50 degree weather... i had no idea they were even in there until i scooped it out and stuck it in a tank and had them crawling on the sides the next day... and i even rinsed it with cold water too

Well, I sent them yesterday, so I hope they make it! I packed them double ziplocked, surrounded by newspaper, an algae wafer, and a heat pack. Our PO is not open on Saturdays so today was no good lol. I just took a chance with them sitting on Sunday, rather than the whole holiday.

Well, I sent them yesterday, so I hope they make it! I packed them double ziplocked, surrounded by newspaper, an algae wafer, and a heat pack. Our PO is not open on Saturdays so today was no good lol. I just took a chance with them sitting on Sunday, rather than the whole holiday.

Never ship with food, that's one of the worst things you can do, especially with fish. When they are stressed they aren't going to eat so the food just turns to waste and that pollutes the water lowering their chance for survival. Fish and inverts can go weeks without eating so several days will be easy for them.

Well, the night before, the snails were in my homemade little breeder net, and they ate an entire algae wafer in about 15 minutes. When I put them in the baggies to ship, they went right for it too. I hope they will be alright....

Never ship with food, that's one of the worst things you can do, especially with fish. When they are stressed they aren't going to eat so the food just turns to waste and that pollutes the water lowering their chance for survival. Fish and inverts can go weeks without eating so several days will be easy for them.

(y)

Back
Top Bottom