Shipping tank supplies across the country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youronlysin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im moving soon, about 2500 miles or so, and was thinking about packing my FW tank rocks (large) some plants and filter-media in a sealed rubber-maid container. If I remember correctly, the bacteria present on this stuff is anaerobic, so it should be ok sealed in an air-tight container filled with tank water, shouldnt it? It may take a few days for it to get to its destination, but if it doesnt work then all I have to do is rinse it well and start over. (I think). I was merely trying to minimize the cycle time when I get the tank set back up in the new house. Should I can the idea and just start over?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can package my tanks for shipping? A moving company is doing all the work, but I thought maybe I should get the tanks emptied and wrapped or something. Any ideas?

Actually, the bacteria on the rocks and filter media is aerobic so it really wouldn't be able to last through a trip packed up like that. I don't know what you would be able to do to preserve the bacteria, but I know there are some products out there that are supposed to be able to jump-start cycling. Check out the "Bio-Spira Availability Issues" sticky at the beginning of this forum. I'm pretty sure there's some info about other products in there.
If you know any other aquarists where you're moving to, you could ask for a cupful of gravel or borrow a decoration. That would shorten the cycling time, at least.
Good luck with the move! :)

If you are moving in Sept, I would just ship them dry (so much cheaper!) and use Bio-Spira to set up your tank again. I don't know any way you are going to avoid a cycle with this kind of a move, unfortunately, unless you put them in your car and drive them with air pumps running constantly on batteries, but that's impractical.

B-S is supposed to be back on the market next month, so it might work out just right, SW too.

Back
Top Bottom