Shirmps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heyah,
I'm looking in to adding shrimp to my tank,
Are Red Cherry Shrimp tropical or could they live in my room temperature tank?

Also do they need java moss or could they live with fake plants aslong as they are well fed but not over fed.

Also do i need to seperate the pregnant female or could she just hatch her eggs in my tank? And some of the fish will eat the babies i dont want, i dont want to breed really.

Thankks for any info x

The people I bought mine from keep their tanks at 72. The shrimp seem to be doing fine in my tanks at 78. I wouldn't go much colder than 72.

The shrimp need something to hold onto or they get stressed. If you go with fake plants, get silk. The shrimp would probably struggle to get a good grip on plastic plants.

No separate tank needed. If you have enough cover to keep the shrimp happy, the shrimplets should be fine.

By 78 etc do you mean Fahrenheit?
So my shrimp should be okay at room temperature do you think?

I was also thinking,
How do i clean the tank? Just the same? Because obviosly the level will drop as i remove water, i normally do a 50% every 2 week and like 25% every week,
I'm guessing they cant go without water, will they remove themselves from the plants or will i have to remove them?

Hollie, If I were in your situation I would definately go and get a cheap 10 gallon, from a thrift store, a friend, somewhere cheap. And put all of your fish, and whichever shrimp in there, and use the 4 gallon as a quarantine, or even just a shrimp tank with minimal plants.. it will solve almost every problem that you have ever asked on this site!
Just would you please consider it if you haven't already, or consider again? :sorry:

Question... Are Cherry Red Shrimp safe with a plecostomous? I want to buy some shrimp but I dont know if its safe with my plecostomous.

Heyah,
I'm looking in to adding shrimp to my tank,
Are Red Cherry Shrimp tropical or could they live in my room temperature tank?

Also do they need java moss or could they live with fake plants aslong as they are well fed but not over fed.

Also do i need to seperate the pregnant female or could she just hatch her eggs in my tank? And some of the fish will eat the babies i dont want, i dont want to breed really.

Thankks for any info x

If you do get some, let me know which ones and where you got them from. I saw some nice ones at Pets at Home at the Metrocentre, might get some myself once my tank is better established.

Mark Hewitt;
I was looking at some in the metro centre - pets @ home aswell.
They are getting a delivery in of them today.
You must be careful though because alot of these are used as feeders from this particular store. They may not be red at the store but the darker the substrate in your tank the better their colouration will be.
I might be getting mine from a shop in consett also. I was going to get some from pets @ home and some from this shop in consett.

Shanec;
I'm not sure about that one. if you mean a pleco then i would probably say no. a pleco will grow to big and if you dont have alot of them they might try to suck on the shrimp. maybe try afew and see how you go. dont go buying loads straight away because you may lose them all :( if he does 'eat' them then well, he's had a nice meal hahaa.

I go there because you can get good brands so much cheaper than at pets @ home for e.g - pedigree dog food 6 cans for my dog, £8.00 at pets at home. £3.40 at this shop.

Its called 'Pet Express' and its just a small business.
They are ordering in some for me,
They sell fish but they can order things in for you.
When they order them in for me i'll tell you what they're like.

Most plecos are omnivorous and will eat meaty foods, including any shrimp they may be able to fit into their mouths.

RCS and many other dwarf shrimp are perfectly fine at temperatures just above freezing for extended periods of time. Right now my breeding setups in my basement are at 56 degrees. Breeding pretty much stops below mid 60's. You will also notice them moving more slowly at lower temps but it's nothing to worry about. They will be fine at room temp.

bs6749 - so they wont breed below sort of 60 degrees celcius? or farenheit? I WASNT wanting to breed really. By them moving more slow, this isnt harming them in any way or stressing them in any way is it?

Getting some tomorrow i think :)

bs6749 - so they wont breed below sort of 60 degrees celcius? or farenheit? I WASNT wanting to breed really. By them moving more slow, this isnt harming them in any way or stressing them in any way is it?

Getting some tomorrow i think :)

You won't find many species in the hobby that will prefer water much warmer than 30 degrees Celsius. Cooler water won't harm these shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom