Shistura loaches? Or, Stop Me Before I Buy Again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah um...ok. So there were these 2 loaches in the nasty lfs. Been there for about 2 months. 1 yoyo, and 1 type I couldn't identify in a tank with botia striatas. I saw them agan yesterday and felt so bad for em I decided to buy em today. Did my research first tho, as I didn't know what that one loach was. It appears to be some sort of shistura (possibly a mahnerti). Thing is, there is very little about them online (even on loaches.com). I asked on their forum, but want to ask here as well:

Is anyone familiar with these guys? Anyone own one or 2? I'm looking for info on adult size, temperament, environment, anything! I know *slaps self* I bought a fish without having all the info. Thing is, there doesn't appear to BE any!

Heres a really bad pic I took while he was in the lfs bag; he and the yoyo are acclimating to the QT atm:

Hi Alli
I had a look and that picture, looks like a Schistura Kessleri Kessleri (Kesslers loach). If it is then it is from Asia, eastern iran, Afghanistan, pakistan. grows to 8cm and is peaceful and is more active during the twilight periods. it also said in my book that it likes a Temp between 22-30 degrees, but prefers the lower level of that temp range.

It also says that the males pectoral fins are more pointed, and they have a typical canestrini scale.

I don't know if i'm right but we have to start someware.

Close Terry *grin* but no cigar. I did manage to find a pic of the Kesslers loach; VERY similar, but if you look below (I got a better pic after he went into the QT tank) you'll see the front stripes are broken up, where the Kesslers are not. Is why I'm pretty sure at this points its the schistura mahnerti. However, my guess is they are pretty similar in need; any idea how to take care of that Kesslers? I'm kinda flying blind here - any info I can get on care would be GREATLY appreciated!!

And have a few kudos for helping :) Thanx!

Hiya Alli
I have been looking all over the place to try and ID this loach, i found these Schistura Kohchangensis.
Schistura Magnifluvis. see what you think.

I also found www.fishbase.org

HTH

I was going to say thats a mighty long loach.

Then I noticed over half its length was just a reflection in the glass.

8O :? :oops:

Don't feel bad Alli, I impulse buy to :oops:

As for care Alli, i think basically it is the same as any other loach. shouldn't think that it would require any special treatment.
I have looked at so many loaches today they all look the same now. :?

Heh, I also came across that species Scott: on loaches.com the first pic of the Mahnerti reads: The "Schistura subfasca" that everybody's calling is the result of misidentification by Thai exporters. It should be schistura mahnerti, a Burmese-border sand loach.

Is why I was going with Mahnerti; I checked for the Subfasca on fishbase.org and there isn't any.

Heres the loaches.com page if your interested: http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/schistura_mahnerti.html

I also thought it was a Kohchangensis but the description isn't as exact as Mahnerti. Magnifluvis is also not a listed species on fishbase.

*grin* and thanx William; its a bad habit and one I've mostly broken, cept when I feel REALLY bad for a fish....then I have no will power LOL

So far they're eating live snails (at least one of em is...dunno if its the yoyo or the schistura) but shrimp pellets are apparently not very yummy. I'll try sinking wafers tonite.

Allivymar said:
*grin* and thanx William; its a bad habit and one I've mostly broken, cept when I feel REALLY bad for a fish....then I have no will power LOL

So far they're eating live snails (at least one of em is...dunno if its the yoyo or the schistura) but shrimp pellets are apparently not very yummy. I'll try sinking wafers tonite.

I know, I've saved a few myself [ most recent being the poor fiddler male with no feeder claw and two missing legs ].

the LFS that I used to buy all my fish from has just gone to shambles lately, EVERY TANK and EVERY FISH is infested badly with Ich. I feel so sorry for them all, but I have enough ich problems to deal with myself, I can't possibily save an entire LFS store full of ich infested fish..

Wish I could, tho. :?

No way coolkid! Where are you?? I'd love to get him some buddies :)

Interestingly enough...one of these little loaches showed up in my lfs too. It was mis-identified and I bought it for $1.99. I've had it a few months now and have made the following observations:

1) The little monster is territorial. In fact...his territory seems to be whatever part of the aquarium he is in at the time. He chases off gouramis, tiger barbs, yo-yo loaches and another similar (and as yet unidentifed) loach.

2) He'll eat almost anything. Favorites seem to be frozen bloodworms and tubifex worms. The only thing he doesn't seem at all interested in is algae pellets.

3) He's growing like a weed!!!

*sniffle*

Mine keeled about a month after I got him. We could never ascertain why; he appeared healthy one afternoon, eating and swimming, 5 hours later he was dead. His tankmate, a yoyo, is a fat healthy pig. I really like him, but after hearing how territorial yours is, it may be a good thing hes not in the tank anymore. My clowns have been starting WW3 between each other this week, and 2 of my 6 angels mated this eve and have been beating the heck out of everyone else all week LOL I don't think the tank could have taken more aggression.

Back
Top Bottom