Shoaling Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJonline

Aquarium Advice Regular
Kinda a silly question... Will shoaling fish group together if bought from different stores at different times?

I have 5 white clouds but want 20 in total for the tank. The place I got my fish from had a huge illness go though all their tanks and I don't want to get any fish from them for a while. On top of that I think adding 15 new ones is to much at one time, right?

Yes they will shoal.. As far as their concerned, they're all the same species.
How large is the tank? Maybe try 5 more ... Then maybe a few more very few weeks.

Assuming the tank is properly cycled, adding a large number of fish isn't usually a problem, as the biofilter will quickly adapt to accommodate the larger bioload.

As far as fish from different sources schooling together, it has been my experience that they usually will. I've heard stories of fish forming cliques before, but it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

The tank is a 60gal. I have had stable water tests for about 10 days now (0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5-10 nitrates) Its heavily planted and has 5 white clouds and 3 cory cats. They have been in there for 8 days. I was thinking in 2 weeks I would add 5 more white clouds.

I want for the tank:
20 white clouds
20 neon tetras
6 cory cats

I have been looking at glass catfish to go in there too but I know nothing about them and if they would work.

Any thoughts?

Your White Cloud Question

Kinda a silly question... Will shoaling fish group together if bought from different stores at different times?

I have 5 white clouds but want 20 in total for the tank. The place I got my fish from had a huge illness go though all their tanks and I don't want to get any fish from them for a while. On top of that I think adding 15 new ones is to much at one time, right?

Hello CJ...

If your tank is large, then adding 15 small fish isn't a problem. Just keep the tank water pure by doing large water changes weekly. I change out half the tank volume every week. That way, the water isn't in the tank long enough for toxins to build up before the next large change.

Your White Clouds are schooling fish, not shoaling fish. Schooling fish stay in tight groups during the daylight hours for protection. When one moves, the others mimic that move. Shoaling fish will group together foraging for food, but their movements are individual. This is the difference.

B

Your White Clouds are schooling fish, not shoaling fish. Schooling fish stay in tight groups during the daylight hours for protection. When one moves, the others mimic that move. Shoaling fish will group together foraging for food, but their movements are individual. This is the difference.

B

I knew there was a difference... I thought it was the other way around. My mistake. :facepalm:

I do a pwc every week on all my tanks. Somewhere between 25% and 50% depending on test results, stock of the tank, how much water was taken the week before or if I change/add something.

How long in total haste tank been set up?

I had this tank set up before but it was racked with an illness that killed everything I had so I broke it down, bleached it and set it back up. I did all that about a month ago. I was given gravel and live plants from a friends tank that had been set up for years - He was changing to sand and was getting rid of it. I also got a biowheel HOB filter for a 75gal that had been on an established tank for about 6 months along with some feeder guppies to start the tank. I put on another biowheel HOB filter that is the same size and put a heater in it. The tank cycled in 2 weeks. I did daily tests using the API drops test kit, had my friend double check it once I thought it cycled. I gave the guppies back to my friend and moved over the white clouds and corys from another tank I had after 3 days of tests that came back the same. I have tested it every day since - kinda waiting for something bad to happen but so far it tests the same every time.

Back
Top Bottom