Shoaling fish should be in groups.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
This video shows why people keep groups of certain fish instead of 1 or2. They live in he hundreds or thousands in the wild not 6

Fishobsessed7

I love that video.

I have always found it somewhat questionable about the common recommendation that shoaling species need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. I have found that most species, especially tetras, don't exhibit substantially different behavior in groups of 6 than they do as individuals unless they are stressed in which case they usually pull together.

However, if you put a group of 30 of them together they exhibit strong shoaling behavior. It seems like 6 is a number that comes more from peoples ability/willingness to keep that size group than anything tied to the well-being of the fish in question.

Yeah after watching that video I want a huge tank with with a giant school of cories and harlequins

Fishobsessed7

Wow. That is justification for a nice frag-style tank, long and flat, and hundreds of schooling fish. Even the aquarium near me only keeps about 20 in the amazon tank. There is plenty of room for more- it's eight feet square and ten high. The whole thing only has discus, angels, cardinals and cories.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for this, I will watch it soon.

What do you/anyone else think about us getting 3-5 more pygmy catfish in our 10g? (Provided the LFS has anymore left)

1 female betta and 6 pygmy catfish are currently in there. If we can't get any other fish in the tank with them (as has been advised to me to not add any other kind of fish due to the tank size), would that be okay? They exhibited some really nice midlevel swimming behavior today which was nice, and we got to see them so much better than when they hang out on the sand, a lot of the time they just hang out on the sand.

I was also considering perhaps some cherry shrimp instead of fish. But if more pygmy catfish would work, that may be the way to go!

Edited to clarify something in the second paragraph.

Yeah after watching that video I want a huge tank with with a giant school of cories and harlequins

Fishobsessed7

That would be fantastic! I want a big tank with lots of cories one day too. And a few other fish. I wish we had more money, space, and time.... but our 10g will have to do for now :)

Back
Top Bottom