Should i...??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxNoobxX

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should I get otos, plecos...?? I want an algae eater... Any suggestions?? I'm thinking on getting otos but not sure yet... I have no experiences with these.. So if you wanna help me you are welcome to do it.. :) thanks..

Depends what size tank you have. Most plecos get big so unless you have a bigger tank I would go with ottos. Just be careful acclimating them. They are very sensitive to acclimation so do a slow drip method.

Thanks.. I got a 29gallon tank...how many of those can I have in there..!? Keeping in mind I will have a pair of dwarf gourami too...

You could get 5-8 ottos, or 1 bushy nose Pleco, or 1 rubber lip Pleco, or a few snails. Those types of Plecos stay small. Just so you know...you don't need algae eaters. If you do get them you have to make sure you feed them algae wafers, and some vegetables like cucumbers about once every two weeks. 99% of the time the algae in the tank isn't sufficient enough for them to thrive. Algae will not be a problem if you keep up on your water changes, and only leave the light on 4-8 hours a day.

You could get 5-8 ottos, or 1 bushy nose Pleco, or 1 rubber lip Pleco, or a few snails. Those types of Plecos stay small. Just so you know...you don't need algae eaters. If you do get them you have to make sure you feed them algae wafers, and some vegetables like cucumbers about once every two weeks. 99% of the time the algae in the tank isn't sufficient enough for them to thrive. Algae will not be a problem if you keep up on your water changes, and only leave the light on 4-8 hours a day.

Wow thanks you answered all my questions.!! :)

if you want to deal with algae issues, i would add a few otos and a few Siamese algae eaters. plecos poop too much and as they age they eat less algae and they dont add movement to the tank because they just sit under a driftwood or some decor and do nothing but pooping

Your welcome. How are the two dwarf gourami doing together? How long have they been together?

Your welcome. How are the two dwarf gourami doing together? How long have they been together?

One is a female and the other one it's a male.. They re doing pretty good.. They have been together since 4 days ago ... But they are doing good.. For some reason they keep kissing each other mouth... Im thinking on adding otos maybe next month...

if you want to deal with algae issues, i would add a few otos and a few Siamese algae eaters. plecos poop too much and as they age they eat less algae and they dont add movement to the tank because they just sit under a driftwood or some decor and do nothing but pooping

Hahahahaha thanks hahaha

They aren't kissing, they are fighting. You might have a problem with them. Dwarf gourami can be quite aggressive. They don't do well in pairs, usually one will be dominated and die. You should get some other fish in there ASAP to distract them.

They aren't kissing, they are fighting. You might have a problem with them. Dwarf gourami can be quite aggressive. They don't do well in pairs, usually one will be dominated and die. You should get some other fish in there ASAP to distract them.

Well I don't see them harming each other tho.. :/ they just seem like kissing sometimes and then they swim together... :/ like the female my the male's side..

Sure, they would work. Just not the giant danio. You could do cory cats, tetras, loaches, rams, angels, lots of options.

I have 2 dwarf gouramis and danios and they do fine together. I did have one really aggressive DG and he ended up stressing out one of my other DG until he died... Just depends on there personality. Also I just bought a clown pleco a couple of days ago and he doesn't get too big but unfortunately I have yet to seen him... :(

Wow... :( I'm so sorry to hear that from both of you... Well I do believe each fish has its own behavior... Some of them will do well with others and some are not.. Even the known peaceful fish in the world could be the most aggressive... It depends on each fish just like humans we are unique... And they are too..

As far as oto... I would lean against them, in all honesty. The mortality rate is pretty bad (buy double the amount you want to keep, basically). They are picky eaters and if all the algae is consumed they can starve if not supplemented properly.

In my opinion, if you have algae issues, don't buy a fish to take care of it. Fix the underlying issues (excess nutrients, light, etc). What happens when you fix the problem? Toss the fish? Same goes with snail infestations, why buy a clown loach to take care of it? Cut back on feedings and the snails will keep themselves in check.

Edit: BNP is a good recommendation. If you want bottom feeders (not algae eaters) cories are a great species.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom