Should I add a algae eater ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubyfox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just bought a juwel bow tank for my fancies and just wanted to know should I get a algae eater and if so what type? I have only had a loach before and that jumped out of the tank at work and killed itself.
Thanks

Reactions: HN1
that is all up to you if you get one or not. I personally don't get them just because I like to be different from everyone else and it seems to me that everyone has them. Actually there is one person on here that says " a tank is not complete without a pleco". If you do get one make sure you look how big it gets as some get really big.

What size tank is it? "Algae eaters" are not needed if you maintain a good balance in your tank and definitely should not be added to a new tank in which they may starve or turn to other foods and likely bypass any future algae altogether. Most plecos sold get far too large for most aquaria and smaller types benefit from a mature tank. Nerite snails and amano shrimp would likely work depending on your stocking plans. No need to add anything "just in case" IMO.

What size tank is it? "Algae eaters" are not needed if you maintain a good balance in your tank and definitely should not be added to a new tank in which they may starve or turn to other foods and likely bypass any future algae altogether. Most plecos sold get far too large for most aquaria and smaller types benefit from a mature tank. Nerite snails and amano shrimp would likely work depending on your stocking plans. No need to add anything "just in case" IMO.

What size tank is this?

Its a Juwel 180L.;) I will be adding 7 fancies (one large) into this tank. Thanks.

That's just shy of 50g. IMHO you don't really have room for the fancies let alone another fish. If the fish are fairly young the tank size would be fine until they grow.
I agree with HN1. Tanks don't need algae eaters and adding one to a new tank could cause the fish to starve. It's usually not advised to add plecos to fancy goldfish tanks. There has been stories of them attaching to the slower moving fish such as fancies causing 'hickies'.

That's just shy of 50g. IMHO you don't really have room for the fancies let alone another fish. If the fish are fairly young the tank size would be fine until they grow.
I agree with HN1. Tanks don't need algae eaters and adding one to a new tank could cause the fish to starve. It's usually not advised to add plecos to fancy goldfish tanks. There has been stories of them attaching to the slower moving fish such as fancies causing 'hickies'.

Sorry its a 260L , I already have my fancies and had them for a long time in a smaller tank :hide: there all smallish apart from my fantail. I dont really want to get rid of any as I have become rather attached.

They're most likely all "smallish" due to stunted growth. Continuing this trend of upgrading them to a slightly larger tank will only serve as a slightly longer death sentence.

I dont really want to get rid of any as I have become rather attached.

I'm sorry if you felt insulted. I don't think you're mean, I just think you lack the proper knowledge for keeping this species of fish. We've all been newbies. We've all made mistakes.

But here's the thing about fishkeeping. It's about the fish, not us. It's about what they need to keep them in the best physical condition possible. One of those things is the proper size tank. I've had to give up my share of beloved fish that didn't work out due to size or temperament.

As for how many you can keep. I'm not a goldfish keeper. I know the size range between species is huge. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about the species you have will come by and give their advice.

I'm sorry if you felt insulted. I don't think you're mean, I just think you lack the proper knowledge for keeping this species of fish. We've all been newbies. We've all made mistakes.

But here's the thing about fishkeeping. It's about the fish, not us. It's about what they need to keep them in the best physical condition possible. One of those things is the proper size tank. I've had to give up my share of beloved fish that didn't work out due to size or temperament.

As for how many you can keep. I'm not a goldfish keeper. I know the size range between species is huge. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about the species you have will come by and give their advice.

I deleted my comment as I felt like I was a bad person. I will have to rehome a few of my smaller ones that I dont like as much and keep 3-4.

You're not a bad person. You probably just had poor information when you started keeping fish.

Rehoming if you can't house appropriately is really the best thing to do. It'll keep your tank healthy and give the fish you rehome a real fighting chance. It will also improve the health of the fish you choose to keep. It's a win-win for everybody! (y)

I have advertised 3 of my fancies..hope they go to good home. Fingers crossed x

Rubyfox said:
Sorry its a 260L , I already have my fancies and had them for a long time in a smaller tank :hide: there all smallish apart from my fantail. I dont really want to get rid of any as I have become rather attached.

That's just shy of 70g. Much better!! 7 fancies can be housed in an 80g tank without tank mates so the 260L will be perfectly fine for now.

Back
Top Bottom