Should I add a bubbler? Using CO2 diffuser to oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipops

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 55 gallons has two AquaClear 110's on it. Do you think this provides enough oxygen for the solo, 6-7 inch goldfish in there?

I've been considering adding a bubbler (even though I think they're terribly ugly) because I want to increase my goldie's water temperature to 82F so that he can have a rubber lip pleco in the tank too. I worry that'll lower oxygen content.... but maybe my filters will make it not a problem?

If I DO put a bubbler in, I'm wondering, can I use a CO2 diffuse to just bubble air? Some of the glass diffusers are beautiful.

The pair of AC110s are fine for the GF.
I do caution the addition of the rubber lip pleco due to the temperature increase and the added waste it will introduce. Is the pleco for aesthetics reasons? I'd look for something with a lower temperature range or skip it entirely.
I would not use CO2 diffusers with a regular air pump. They require a high psi to operate and I doubt most air pumps will come close to producing that much pressure.

Thanks! Good to know!

Long story short, I got the rubber lip pleco after I came back from a vacation and found algae RAMPANT in the goldfish tank. He's in quarantine right now. but I'm having second thoughts, because I'd need to have the temp be cool for the rubber lip, but warm for the goldie (although still within their normal acceptable ranges), and I'm worried that it'll take away from the dissolved oxygen...

I'm pretty crazy about my water changes, and I vacuum waste every day so I think we'd be fine in that aspect...

I don't have another tank big enoguh for him if he doesn't go into the 55 with the goldie :\

Thanks! Good to know!

Long story short, I got the rubber lip pleco after I came back from a vacation and found algae RAMPANT in the goldfish tank. He's in quarantine right now. but I'm having second thoughts, because I'd need to have the temp be cool for the rubber lip, but warm for the goldie (although still within their normal acceptable ranges), and I'm worried that it'll take away from the dissolved oxygen...

I'm pretty crazy about my water changes, and I vacuum waste every day so I think we'd be fine in that aspect...

I don't have another tank big enoguh for him if he doesn't go into the 55 with the goldie :\

I think you have the temp requirements switched; goldfish cooler, pleco warmer (70-82 F). Low to mid 70s sounds about right.
I've found the most effective way to control algae is to control that amount and duration of light. What type of lighting are you using and how long are they on each day?
Also, algae by itself is not impacting water quality (it may actual improve it via nutrient uptake). However, plecos consuming algae convert it into substances that will have an impact on water quality.
I am a fan of using an algae magnet if algae appears on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom