Should I add Gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29gal planted tank with 3 Buenos Aires Tetras, 4 Pepper Cories, 2 Clown Plecos. I will be adding 6 Tiger Barbs in 4 - 6 weeks. I wanted to have two Gouramis also, I was thinking about one Blue, 1 Gold. Any suggestions?

The barbs will put you close to your stocking limit. And the plecos are big waste producers, so I would advise against the gouramis. But if you are dying to add them, it could probably be done if you are diligent about your pwc's. IME, given the aggression factor, I would advise making sure to get two females. One male in such a small, crowded tank will likely stress a female out. And if you go with two males, one could very likely kill the other one once they mature.

Oh, and another issue that may come into play is the barbs. I have heard that, even though they are nippers, if you have a group of six or more, they will usually leave the other fish alone. But given that it is a smaller tank, they may be prone to nip the gouramis' feeler fins even with the school you plan to add.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom