Should I be concerned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
My kissing gourami has a growth on his fin, any ideas what this is? I should add that it protrudes equally from both sides of the fin.

Useful information: temp 76F, 0-0-30, no recent fish additions, added a bunch of MTS today, but this was there before. Added plants on labor day.

No other fish have anything similar. He's always had two little white spots (the smaller of the two is visible on the pictures) on his back fin, but it has always been there and remained constant.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1411179346870.jpg
    1411179346870.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 1411179385719.jpg
    1411179385719.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 1411179431021.jpg
    1411179431021.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 1411179536655.jpg
    1411179536655.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 96
You sure it's a growth and not a fungus? Is it definitely hard fish body mass or is it fuzzy? Could be a tumor, I would say wait and watch is not a bad policy here. You might try posting in the sick fish forum section.

With the spots on the operculum (gill covering) I would say it looks like it has ich. Hard to tell with a fish that white though. As for the spot on the finnage, that's a tough call. Fungus or columnaris possibly. Could also be a few other things.

Do male gouramis get tubercles on their gill covers? When one of my fancy goldfishs' first had them coming in, I thought it was ich, but turned out just to be that trait.

Your Tank

Hello energizer...

What's your water change routine? If fish are stressed for any reason or they don't appear healthy, you may not be keeping their water clean enough. Don't fret over it, perform a bit larger water change than normal and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. The flush of some clean water and a little warmth will more than likely help.

B

What pictures are you guys looking at?
:rolleyes:

the fact that it is on both sides of the fin and is relatively equal on both sides completely rules out any type of external bacterial or fungal infection.
There is absolutely NO evidence of ich, so not sure where you guys see that.
It could possibly be a worm or similar parasite or a parasitic cyst if anything bad.
Looks to me to be a pretty common skin growth/tumor.
Is it new or has it always been present like the smaller one?
Keep an eye on it for any changes or rapid growth, but to me it looks benign.

Sometimes if a fin ray gets broken or damaged it can build up scar tissue at the site of injury and it can resemble what your fish has.

Hello energizer...

What's your water change routine? If fish are stressed for any reason or they don't appear healthy, you may not be keeping their water clean enough. Don't fret over it, perform a bit larger water change than normal and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. The flush of some clean water and a little warmth will more than likely help.

B

again with the "water changes solves everything" mantra
give it a rest why don't ya?
:rolleyes:

Late getting back, but it appears to have subsided or disappeared lately. I've always noticed a little something on that fin, but that was the only thing and other fish were unaffected. Also, water change is going on a month now, but I have so many plants, well yeah. Need to do a change, but this is the longest they've ever gone, usually it's 50% bi/weekly. I guess I'll let it ride since he's been doing okay this whole time, greets me when I walk over and all.

Late getting back, but it appears to have subsided or disappeared lately. I've always noticed a little something on that fin, but that was the only thing and other fish were unaffected. Also, water change is going on a month now, but I have so many plants, well yeah. Need to do a change, but this is the longest they've ever gone, usually it's 50% bi/weekly. I guess I'll let it ride since he's been doing okay this whole time, greets me when I walk over and all.

Nice going :) What do you think it was?

My gourami had the same thing on her tail fin and one by her mouth. Gave a salt bath as a precaution, but pretty sure it didn't do much. it ended up going away on its own just like yours. Never caused a change in her behavior so I didn't stress it.

Back
Top Bottom