should i bleach dip my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my plants from sweet aquatic found a blood worm and a slug on the plants so would like to make sure none of that gets in my tank. Is it safe to do a bleach dip? 25:1 solution for 2-3 mins then rinse in water with a lot of declorinater. Here's the deal I don't want to kill the plants. So idk if this is a bad idea to attempt would it be better to risk it? I just don't know.

These are the plants
3x Amazon Swords Med
1x Red Flame
5x Hygrophila Corymbosa:
4x Potted Microsword
3x Water Wisteria
4x Java Fern
1x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red Pot

i honestly have no idea what a blech dip is or if it will kill the plants. i suggest using a very powerful stream of water to rinse off unwanted pests and scraping the leaves, then leaving lettuce in the tank over night and removing it next morn and any remaining pests should be on the lettuce by theory. if a bleach dip will work then go ahead but idk :)

I'm wondering how to disinfect plants too, but I wasn't considering bleach. I've heard some people recommend Potassium Pomegranate, but it doesn't seem easy to acquire and I've also read it can harm some fish, so I wasn't sure if this method was totally safe. I was also considering a hydrogen peroxide dip and then a rinse in dechlorinated water but again not sure if this would be safe and/or if it would eradicate any pests/diseases on the plants before i put them in the tank (I don't have them yet, still researching before I order lol).

why not take plants to a bucket, potassium pomegranate them and leave it to recover in another bucket before reintroducing it?

My dad use to do flower arrangements and used bleach in the water to make the flowers last longer. Don't ask me how it works, but from that I can gather that the bleach won't harm the plants.

1:25 is a safe dilution and I would say go ahead. But make extra sure you get it washed off before putting it in the tanks. Maybe even leave it in a quarantine tank for a few days.

A 19 part water to 1 part bleach for a minute or two (up to 3) should be fine with all those plants. Try and keep the roots out of the dip. Another, probably safer dip, which won't kill algae, is 1 tbsp of Alum in a gallon of water. you can leave it in there ofr 30 to 60 minutes without harming the plants. Alum is available at the drugstore or in the canning section of a grocery store.

I do a 60 second dip in 100% h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) followed by a rinse in tap water. I've never had a pathogen introduced, and you can watch the algae die as it is dipped. I've also seen it kill pest snails, but one did apparently sneak through the dip.

I've only seen the h2o2 dip be rough on my Italian Vals (it basically turned to liquid over a few days), so perhaps the same types of plants which are sensitive to products like Excel are also not a big fan of peroxide.

I've heard good things about the potassium pomegranate...but I've never seen where it's available and wouldn't know where to begin looking.

I do a 60 second dip in 100% h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) followed by a rinse in tap water. I've never had a pathogen introduced, and you can watch the algae die as it is dipped. I've also seen it kill pest snails, but one did apparently sneak through the dip.

I've only seen the h2o2 dip be rough on my Italian Vals (it basically turned to liquid over a few days), so perhaps the same types of plants which are sensitive to products like Excel are also not a big fan of peroxide.

I've heard good things about the potassium pomegranate...but I've never seen where it's available and wouldn't know where to begin looking.

Oh great, I just ordered some Flame Moss and Valisneria Spiralis :lol: Oh well, I guess a hydrogen peroxide dip is out of the question. Good thing you replied! lol

Well potassium p i can't find even though I live in a large city so I can't use it. I may consider hydrogen p

Back
Top Bottom