Should I buy a tank on craigslist or go to Petco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjg523

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

So I just saw someone locally is selling a 55 gallon tank and stand and all the necessary equipment, heater, thermometer, filter, even an automatic feeder for $100. Obviously this is a really good deal even if I have to replace some of the equipment. My question is whether you would take the risk given what a great deal this tank is? My other option is to go to Petco and enjoy the fact they are currently doing the dollar per gallon sale? The craigslist tank is currently up and running with fish in it so I suppose that is pretty good proof it is in good working order. If I don't want the fish can I take them to a LFS? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would go for it. Unfortunately the resale value of aquarium stuff is not very high. Go look at the tank set up in person and if it checks out you have found a bargain. LOL. Then the challenge becomes moving all that stuff. If it all is kosher, then congratulations on finding a bargain. Let us know how it works out. Good luck, OS.

if i were you, i would go get the tank off craigslist then replace just the tank. the dollar per gallon sale is going on right now so you will have a nice clean tank and a spare 55 for whatever you need it ;) ill be picking up a few tanks on pay day

Go Craigslist! This is how a friend of mine got her 75 gallon setup, I'd say go for it.

If you get it off craigslist it's almost always a lot cheaper than new but there could be small cracks, damage to filter, etc from used tanks. If you get it new it's more expensive but guaranteed to not be broken in any way.

Used Tanks

Hello everyone,

So I just saw someone locally is selling a 55 gallon tank and stand and all the necessary equipment, heater, thermometer, filter, even an automatic feeder for $100. Obviously this is a really good deal even if I have to replace some of the equipment. My question is whether you would take the risk given what a great deal this tank is? My other option is to go to Petco and enjoy the fact they are currently doing the dollar per gallon sale? The craigslist tank is currently up and running with fish in it so I suppose that is pretty good proof it is in good working order. If I don't want the fish can I take them to a LFS? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hello pjg...

If the deal sounds too good to be true, it likely is just that. I haven't had good luck with used tanks. I'd opt for the new one at PetCo. That way, if it doesn't suit you, you can take it back and be assured of getting your money back.

Just sayin' that's what I'd do.

B

I got a 55g used from my half-brother to use for awhile. It had made the rounds on his side of the family, and aside from a few scratches on the glass it was perfect.

I upgraded to a 100 g that was being given away on freecyclers, and aside from again a few sctatches and the accessories kinda hit and miss, the tank was a score.

Usually it's cheap because people either don't know/remember how much the actually spent on it or don't care and just want some cash for something that's just taking up space. I've had two brand new tanks in my life, everything else has been used, including some I've literally gotten off the side of the road beside the trash. As long as the seal is tight you're usually good. And even brand new tanks can be messed up. For the money, I'd go Craigslist.

I got my 29 gallon tank from craigslist and it's great. The only thing I would say is double check the size of the tank. My tank was advertised as 40 gallons but when I measured it it was smaller!

I bought my 120g through CL. If you are hesitant, fill it. It's your $$. There will always be another. My opinion anyways. Good luck!

Also, when I bought mine it was full of fish and I brought them all to my lfs and they took them for free. Just call first and ask if they have room

I got my 90 gallon used not off Craigslist but still used

Back
Top Bottom