Should I change Filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon with two filters running. One is a AquaClear 70 and the second is a Penguin 330 Bio-Wheel filter.

Many people like the AquaClear for the easy customization. While the Penguin is not as easily customizable.

But I was wondering if the Bio-Wheel is a good beneficial bacteria media? Or are the ceramic rings better?

I have an option to swap out the Penguin Bio-Wheel filter for another AquaClear 70. So I will have two AquaClear 70's running.

I would leave it alone. The Biowheel is the best biomedia out there.

The bio wheel will work fine for additional filter media. In the aqua clear if you wanted you can add another type of media in a net bag. I prefer plain non antibacterial plastic pot scrubbers. I just throw one on top of the sponges in my Aqua clears. Been doing that for the past 6 years.

Last edited:
As of right now in the penguin I took out the carbon and stuffed SeaChem Matrix inside the cartridge. So I have the best of both worlds in one filter. It goes through the Matrix and then to the bio-wheel.

I was wondering if it was best to use 2 AquaClear 70's instead because I don't know much about the bio-wheel. I have one AquaClear just sitting there.

I guess I will leave things alone.

Thanks for the advice.

I would leave it alone. You have the two best HOB filter designs, very much because of what you posted- AquaClear because of easy customization, and the Marineland because of the BioWheel. Just be sure the wheel keeps turning and all is well.

If your Marineland came with the extral media container(s), I would stuff that full of polyfill floss (new pillow stuffing- 100% polyester). I also cut the top edge of a standard media pad, dump out the carbon, and stuff it lightly w/polyfill as well. Keeps water super-clear.

The biowheel is arguably the best biological filtration media out there because it has a large capacity, is aerated, and has the slot shaped things. Unless it breaks or the filter gets clogged, it is fine.

Back
Top Bottom