Should I change my background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shanna.mcbane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20160304_080532.jpgShould I change my tank background? Is it too busy? I have 4 angelfish that blend in and 3 Longfin Rosy Barbs.... any ideas?

From my perspective, change the fake plant(s) instead. Not implying to go natural, although that would be nice for the fish, but the plant may be what needs changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I remeber my 1st fish tank lol yea get rid of the plant imo jus saying

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Can you share a picture of the front of the tank but from the front? It appears as if there is some rocks in the corner but can't clearly see the whole tank.

My recommendation still stands: the plants should be changed.

What size is the tank?
What fish do you have in it and how many?
What temperature is your water at?

30gal, 4 angelfish, 3 longfin rosy barbs and 78 degrees. I love the plants...they shimmer. :) I would rather change the background to something less busy...simple.

Every one has a different idea about tank decoration, there is no right and wrong, only right and wrong water parameters. Providing those are good and your fish are healthy then decorate as you like.
Looking at your tank, whilst keeping the decor that you obviously like, then I think a plain background, black or dark blue might work. My quarantine tank is dark green which seems to work well.
Painting gives the best finish but temporarily taping a colour card to the back while you decide on a more permanent colour and finish is a good idea.
Personally I like plain painted back glass, I don't like pictures and I hate plain glass where you can see the wall etc.
It's all personal choice. Post some more pics if you change the tank, it's always good to see what others are up to.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I finally painted the back on one of my tanks with black acrylic paint. It took some time and prep but the outcome looks good. My planted tank has a black plastic garbage taped to the back of it. About as low budget as you can get.

If I may make a suggestion: depending on your fish, have you considered a mirror? I have six dwarf neon rainbows in my 29 gal, but it appears as if there are twice that many due to the mirrors behind the tank. When I first put them in the tank, the fish literally were looking at themselves in the mirrors, as if to say, hey, I know her and her and her (they're all female), but who is SHE?
The idea being...some fish like being in large schools and the mirror gives that feeling without actually overwhelming the biological filter/capacity of the tank.

Mirrors also give the perception of depth.
Again, it depends on the fish. I'd never put a mirror near a betta..that would be cruel. But my rainbows seem to like the mirror just fine.

If I may make a suggestion: depending on your fish, have you considered a mirror? I have six dwarf neon rainbows in my 29 gal, but it appears as if there are twice that many due to the mirrors behind the tank. When I first put them in the tank, the fish literally were looking at themselves in the mirrors, as if to say, hey, I know her and her and her (they're all female), but who is SHE?
The idea being...some fish like being in large schools and the mirror gives that feeling without actually overwhelming the biological filter/capacity of the tank.

Again, it depends on the fish. I'd never put a mirror near a betta..that would be cruel. But my rainbows seem to like the mirror just fine.
A mirror? Sounds very interesting...wow thanks for the idea...I will do some research :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think the background is good for now. It adds depth to the setting. I think if you add more decorations and plants you could consider changing the background, but for now, I think it is fine.

I bought flat, 12x12 in mirrors from the bath department at Home Depot. I used three of them to form the background of my 29 gallon. They don't reach all the way to the top, but that's only because I didn't put in more than one row. The mirrors come 12 to a box so even if one breaks you have plenty left over.
Using mirrors is an old trick used in zoos, especially, to give birds like flamingos the impression that they are surrounded by other flamingos. Many birds won't reproduce unless they have other birds of their species around them.

I vote black background

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

If I may ask, did you use mirror tiles or did it come that way? My 65G back is mirrored so I can't change it, but I'm having a hard time cleaning it and it makes the water look cloudy. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom