Should I change my gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bates1990amazon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm wondering if I should change the gravel in my aquarium. I think it's been in it for around 6 years.

I'm wondering if I should change the gravel in my aquarium. I think it's been in it for around 6 years.

Welcome to AA! Do you gravel vacuum when you partially change your tank water?

There is no need to change it unless your tired of looking at it! Gravel doesn't go bad nor deteriorate

I usually gravel vacuum everytime I water change but I have the big rock gravel and the food gets trapped as soon as it hits the bottom so I have to change water faster. Idk I was just thinking the small rock gravel would be better so the food would sit on top and maybe it would all get eaton. Also I wasn't sure if there would be hidden sludge build up or something over time

Having smaller gravel would help with less gunk build up, but really changing the substrait is usually just a matter of personal taste. Do you like the look of smaller gravel better? Is it worth the change to have less waste trapped? As long as you vacuum I don't think a negative sludge build up would be happening. Beneficial bacteria do grow there though, so if you change you might watch your tank for a mini cycle.

Back
Top Bottom