Should I dip these plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishey bricks

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had just collected some Ludwig green from a local lake and noticed that it is cover in hair algae. Will this cause a outbreak in my tank if put in without treating it or should I do a dip, if so what ratio?

Your New Plants

I had just collected some Ludwig green from a local lake and noticed that it is cover in hair algae. Will this cause a outbreak in my tank if put in without treating it or should I do a dip, if so what ratio?

Hello Fishey...

Rinse the plants well and carefully remove most of the algae with a toothbrush. Rinse again and put them into the tank. Algae isn't a bad thing. It nourishes the fish and is a good water filter. Don't feed your fish and plants too much and keep up with the water changes and the algae won't get out of control.

B

The accepted bleach dip is made up of one part bleach to 19 parts water. Dip time is one minute, followed by good rinse. Most plants can tolerate this. Really fine plants such as hornwort can't.

You should always dip plants you collect from the great outdoors. Saves you from potential headaches brought on by possible pathogens, hitchhikers, algae, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

Back
Top Bottom