Should I do a Filter Upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiina107

Aquarium Advice Regular
I rescaped my 10 gallon planted tank today to give the fish a little more room to swim and dart around, while also pruning the HECK outta my ludwigias that had grown like crazy, and to make it less cluttered. It currently houses 2 male platies(Will be getting a 3rd to break up aggression, but they actually seem to prefer being with one another as of lately) and 5 ember tetras. I use a Fluval Nano 5-15 filter to filter the tank and keep it clean. The filter seems to do a good job and i have no spikes in ammonia or nitrites, but i worry the bioload might be too much for the filter and am considering opting to change it for a Fluval Aquaclear 20 if i need to. I do water changes 30% once weekly, and every 3rd week do 50% and clean filter. I will spend the extra money if many are concerned, but i personally think they are fine with this current filter. But I always say that in this hobby the best place to gather information is from the community, so i of course, wanted to see what my fellow aquarists had to say! Thank you all <3

Be a good idea to change the old filter out for the AC 20. Probably enough room in the filter box to include the filter media from your current power filter. I've got three AC's, 2× 110's & 1x 30. All do a very good job.

Hello Shi...

You don't need to upgrade your filter. Just maintain a sound water change routine. Consistency is the best approach to keeping a healthy tank. Set up a 50 percent water change weekly and stick to it, no excuses. This will guarantee a steady, safe water chemistry. The water change is the best filter, because you remove the polluted water and replace that with pure, treated tap water. There's not a filter out there that can keep the tank water clean. It simply takes in polluted water and returns the water a bit less polluted. The toxins from the dissolving fish and plant waste can rise quickly in a very small amount of water. So, large, very frequent water changes are needed to keep the water livable for your fish. Change a lot of water and do this often and you'll have no tank problems.

B

But I always say that in this hobby the best place to gather information is from the community, so i of course, wanted to see what my fellow aquarists had to say! Thank you all <3

For this fish you have, that filter sounds fine, as does your water change schedule. Just test your water every so often to monitor for ammonia or nitrate spikes, and that nitrates don't go above 40PPM.

Back
Top Bottom