Should I do plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako_

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I get my 55 gallon set-up, I am thinking on using real plants. It's going to be a freshwater because I am still new at this hobby and I don't understand the salt situation yet. I like the coral reef look. I also like Tropical fish which go good with the coral reef region. Would I be able to plant coral reefs in the tank and how much do reefs and other plants usually go for?

i'm confused.... you said the tank is going to be freshwater? in that case, you probably shouldn't do corals as they are saltwater creatures (plants? animals?). you could get some fake coral decorations if you just want the look. if you are planning a planted tank then you may want to read up on lighting, CO2, etc. since you are a beginner you may want to start with low light plants which you don't necessarily need a CO2 set up or ferts for.

Oh. I know some decorations go for a high price, depending on how big they or are how detailed they are. Are fake corals expensive? I seen an interview on a fish store that sold rubber, colorful corals but they didn't price it.

Are you sure you want to put fake coral into a fw? It doesn't look natural and you might get some curious looks from other folks on this forum. You can do plants if you want to. A minimally planted tank won't give you any extra duties if you just buy a light timer. I suggest java fern and Anacharis for the beginner. But then again don't let me stop you from building a nicely vibrant tank, colors are always nice.

who cares what other people think? as long as you like it and think it looks cool. i have a fake coral cave thing going into my FW tank and a bright pink flower. i think they look cool with my dark blue gravel. but that's just me.

who cares what other people think? as long as you like it and think it looks cool. i have a fake coral cave thing going into my FW tank and a bright pink flower. i think they look cool with my dark blue gravel. but that's just me.

+1 we're not here for permission just advice:D

+3 Your tank is just that, your tank.

My tank is a 100% SA biotope, plants, fish and ect.

My wifes tank is blue/purple/green gravel with a big skull, fake driftwood, plants and a bubble wall.

Your tank is whatever you want it to be! A tank is the canvas and you are the artist.

please no more walmart caves please lol

you dont have to go all out you dont need a tank full of plants all you need is a few plants some natural rocks and it makes a world of difference.

dsc04973pv2.jpg

i am not sure its not my tank. there tons of tanks like that google Iwagumi i mean there is a ton of tanks that are a low light set up. you dont have to have a high light high tech planted tank for it to look nice.

please no more walmart caves please lol

you dont have to go all out you dont need a tank full of plants all you need is a few plants some natural rocks and it makes a world of difference.

my cave is not from walmart. i actually bought it at my LFS. and i like it. i can use as many fake caves as i want. just because you like the "natural look" doesn't mean everyone has to. some people like the fake, brightly colored looks. i personally enjoy a natural looking aquarium as well as a bright, colorful, unrealistic one. my guess is that people aren't here for your approval. i'm not.

Back
Top Bottom