Should I get a 10 gallon tank for qt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon community tank right now. I also have two 1 gallon tanks with bettas in each. I am NOT going to upgrade the bettas tanks. Should I get a new tank for quarantine? If so what size and filter? I may also end up using the tank and hospital and for fry. I have a female guppy in my tank, with like 4 males.

Sure, it can't hurt. As a matter of fact, it's recommended that you have a QT tank for new fish and what not. I personally do not have one and never had one...just don't feel like it. What size? I'd go for a 10g, the size you posted about. You don't have to go crazy with filtration in it.

You could buy a bigger tank for your community tank and use your current 10g as your qt tank. Just another option

Can never have too many tanks!!! and a QT tank is Never a bad Idea.

ShadoeFox said:
A twenty tall has about the same foot print as a ten, an easy upgrade!

Yea but I dint recommend talls, mainly because they home less fish

ShadoeFox said:
Okay, fair point. I don't have problems with mine but I put a bigger filter on mine

A twenty long can hold way more then a tall due to the fact that their is more place for oxygenation to take place in the surface are of the water

Petsmart and petco, probably even wallmart, sell $20 "starters" with tank, hood, filter, and replacement cartridges. I've picked those up a couple of times now, and I like to use them as quarantine. Of course, if you've picked up a bigger fish, then you'll need a larger tank....it grows from there. But i think they're good investments, $20 well spent.

uh.oh... said:
Petsmart and petco, probably even wallmart, sell $20 "starters" with tank, hood, filter, and replacement cartridges. I've picked those up a couple of times now, and I like to use them as quarantine. Of course, if you've picked up a bigger fish, then you'll need a larger tank....it grows from there. But i think they're good investments, $20 well spent.

Where do you live? That's a good deal walmart here has them for like 70 I believe and it doesn't come with a heater. Atleast my 29 didn't. Good old Canada keeping it cold

A qt tanks purpose is for fry, aggressive fish, or sick or injured fish.

the problem is keeping the Qt tank a QT tank, LOL... mine somehow is a guppy tank ;) but to my defense I baught it second hand $30 10gallon as a qt and it came with the guppies and some type of pleco. I couldnt throw them away! (already had a extra filter)

Back
Top Bottom