Should I get a 3rd tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a 36G Freshwater tank for over a month now, and love it. I'm still stocking it, using my 2nd tank (quarantine tank, 10G). I have a small room in my unfinished basement (hope to have it finished one day) with my quarantine tank. I'm conteplating on purchasing a used 55G tank from Craigslist, includes tank, stand, hood, light, for $150. Owner has filled it and I will see it filled on pickup. Ultimately my decision I know, but what do you think? Too good of a deal to pass up? Or am I just crazy? My wife isn't too crazy for another tank (or the 2nd one, even if it is just a temproary quarantine).

Have you seen the tank sometimes they will send allot of pics and when you get there's a crack or something it happened to me and my friend

He's going to fill it with water tomorrow, send more pictures, and keep it filled until I get there. We would then empty it together.

Do you have the time and want the extra work of another tank? Over the years I've seen people new to the hobby get so enthused they put up tank after tank and then in time find they get tired of the work and ultimately get out of the hobby as it's no longer a source of enjoyment. The tank is a good deal but think about the added work and expense, not to mention your wife's feelings.

Do you have the time and want the extra work of another tank? Over the years I've seen people new to the hobby get so enthused they put up tank after tank and then in time find they get tired of the work and ultimately get out of the hobby as it's no longer a source of enjoyment. The tank is a good deal but think about the added work and expense, not to mention your wife's feelings.

It's very enticing :) Do I have the time? Well once my main tank is fully loaded then my free time goes up (no watching QT as close, feeding 2 tanks, water changes 2 tanks, etc.) I could spend that time on my 3rd tank.

You bring up a great point, though, more tanks = more work = potential to decrease enjoyment.

Id save about $300 buying this tank at this price

It's very enticing :) Do I have the time? Well once my main tank is fully loaded then my free time goes up (no watching QT as close, feeding 2 tanks, water changes 2 tanks, etc.) I could spend that time on my 3rd tank.

You bring up a great point, though, more tanks = more work = potential to decrease enjoyment.

Id save about $300 buying this tank at this price

Within a few months maybe 6 months i went from one tank to 5... now just under two years later I want to down size. You have to stop eventually and it gets boring. You always want something new... it takes me about 5 hours to clean all the tanks so i don't clean them usually as much as i should...

That's a very very good statement to make river.

How about tearing down your 30 and just upsize to the 55 rather then getting into a new tank.

That's a very very good statement to make river.

How about tearing down your 30 and just upsize to the 55 rather then getting into a new tank.

The 36 is in my living room, the 55 wouldn't fit there. It would most likely be downstairs in the basement, where only I could enjoy anyways :/ Maybe in the dining room?

I've had at least 1 tank running ever since 1980 when I got my first house. Before that it was off an on. At one point by the 90's I had a ton of tanks including several large and smaller reef set ups along with planted freshwater but since I always enjoyed my tanks and never felt like they were work I never got burned out. Unfortunately with todays busy life styles it's easy to get in too deep with too many tanks and get overwhelmed. Plus most hobbyist aren't retired like I am and don't have as much free time especially those with demanding careers and or children. I only mention thinking long and hard about it because I've seen many people just lose interest because they are overwhelmed by too many tanks. No one ever thinks it's going to happen to them but it does. For me I've found changing up tank stock over the years keeps things interesting. I've always had angels but just needed a change a few months back so when the large fancy goldfish finally went to the grandkids houses I decided to do something I hadn't done in years which as do a 55g with all nano fish and shrimp. I've very much enjoyed them. I understand it's hard not to want all types of different fish but by saving other fish you want for the future you give yourself something to look forward too. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you but take your time making that decision.

Yip I'm sixteen and enjoying every moment. From the age of 10 when my grandpa gave me two goldfish for the pond. But won't argue it's allot of PT

I was very close to getting a second tank and was thinking of a smaller (space limits) planted tank and neons but then had a bacterial infection in tank and its just been constant. Finally packed away the QT for hopefully a long time last weekend and I've never been so glad.

I think if I got another, then a water changer would have to be a must.

I'd do it, but I have a fishroom so it's obvious I have no self-control. ;)

Back
Top Bottom