Should i get an albino or a normal rainbow shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lung Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, i've been thinking about getting a rainbow shark. But i can't decide is i should get an albino or a regular rainbow shark, what do you guys think (Don't complain about my stockings, i'm getting a second filter soon).

Regular all the way. I find albino fish tend to not live as long.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

If this is in that 45g I feel sorry for it...

To stay on topic: I find regular more appealing.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So, i've been thinking about getting a rainbow shark. But i can't decide is i should get an albino or a regular rainbow shark, what do you guys think (Don't complain about my stockings, i'm getting a second filter soon).

Why keep coming on and asking questions when you don't listen to knowledgable people? The past threads of yours I've seen are full of people telling you your tank is terribly stocked and overstocked and you want to add more to it? And didn't you just have a knife fish up and die on you most likely because of the terrible conditions you put your fish in? And an extra filter isn't going to help you, you can't fix way overstocked.... Just my $.02 though, I imagine it will be ignored like all the other good advice you've been given.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok getting another filter won't help anything, how does no one realize this. You will still have ntrAtes through the roof.

On topic

What size tank is it going into, and what is the other socking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size tank? IF you have a big enough tank and the correct tank mates (based on your other posts I don't think you do) I would go regular. Imo which a lot of people share I think the albinos have weaker genetics and regulars tend to be healthier to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A second filter will hardly help you if this is that overstocked tank. Bacteria will only multiply when you add an extra ammonia source. If your tank is in fact overstocked, you do NOT want to add another source of ammonia. Nitrifying bacteria will not remove nitrates, and I am sure you already have a bacteria colony converting waste into nitrates. Water changes will remove some nitrates, but that will not change the fact that you are short on space for more fish. Another filter will pretty much only help with mechanical filtration, which won't really benefit much in itself.

I have a regular and love it, but wouldn't recommend one here, they get decent size for an already overstocked tank. Bought mine at under 2 inches and less than the width of a pencil, he is getting close to 5 inches now just a year later.

How do i add more bio-filtration?

By adding more places for bacteria to colonize in an existing filter or a new filter. But biofiltration isn't the issue, it's removing the nitrates that result from biofiltration. And also having enough tank space.

I was in Houston today and they had albino sharks on sale for $3.99

Good looking fish, I almost bought one despite the fact that I have NO aquarium he/she would fit in.

Love the red fins.

Back
Top Bottom