Should i get an undergravel filter for my 10 gallon community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I looked at them and they're pretty cheap. My tank has been pretty cloudy lately and I have an aquaclear 30 on I so it shouldn't be cloudy. I think if I get a ug filter it will help keep they dirt down low, not in the water. I do weekly pwcs of 30% and just did one a few days ago. Any suggestions or oppinions?

i think the problem isnt in the filter it's either an algae bloom or a bacteria boom. are you cycling? is your tank close to a window? what fish do you have?

I am not cycling. I have 5 guppies, a peppered Cory catfish, and a sunburst mickeymouse platy. I have had the tank since about last December. I have only used spring, distilled, and drinking water in it.

I would not get a UGF.

There is something else going on with the tank.

Using distilled water is a freshwater tank is not a good idea, fwiw, but it will not cause cloudiness.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

What color is the cloudiness? (brown, white, or green?)

You are going to get mixed opiniopns on UGFs. My opinion is that they are a good ADDITIONAL filter, IF you run it with a good powerhead and have gravel of about 1/8 inch in size, at least an inch deep. Running a UGF with only air is a joke, and pretty much useless. A good quality powerhead, combined with some other type of filter (like a HOB) will work well.

However, that much circulation in a small tank might be too much. I ran a UGF with a PH on a 10 gallon successfully many years ago without any additional filter, but I only had 1 goldfish in the tank. When I upgraded to a 29, I got a bigger filter plate and a HOB, and the combination did well for years. I did the same set up on my current 75 gallon, but removed the UGF recently when I bought a large Eheim cannister filter. (I am planning on putting the UGF plates and powerheads back in at some point.)

You are going to get mixed opiniopns on UGFs. My opinion is that they are a good ADDITIONAL filter, IF you run it with a good powerhead and have gravel of about 1/8 inch in size, at least an inch deep. Running a UGF with only air is a joke, and pretty much useless.

I would definitely agree with this.

There are also some merits to running a reverse UGF using a powerhead as an additional filtration method.

However, I don't think either one will solve your cloudy water issue.

Actually I researched each species and the r just fine. Not overstocked. The color of the cloudiness is either brown or white. I'll put a pic on here soon. Can't get parameters right now cuz I'm out of testing supplies but I'm getting more tomorrow.

You are going to get mixed opiniopns on UGFs. My opinion is that they are a good ADDITIONAL filter, IF you run it with a good powerhead and have gravel of about 1/8 inch in size, at least an inch deep. Running a UGF with only air is a joke, and pretty much useless. A good quality powerhead, combined with some other type of filter (like a HOB) will work well.

yep to above.
something else going on with your tank. cloudyness is not normal after setup and cleaning clears(1-2hours). overstocking could/would cause this but if you are cleaning your gravel weekly w/ PWC 2 times a week it can be managed (not ideal).

If you are overfeeding or doing PWC and a filter media change at the same time you could be getting mini cycles going on and that could be bad also?

get your water details posted and people will be better able to help ya
maybe even a picture or two?

on aqadvisor (which usually trys to help you out not the other way around) said you were at 111% plus those fish need schools alll of them

I took a video because it was easier... anyone know how to post it? its a mvi file so I don't know if it will work. right now when i try to upload it it says sending request to aquariumadvice.com and has no porgress. it's been like this for several mins.

Ok. Here are the pics. SOrry about the bad quality! I'm not a good photographer and the fish just won't hold still! Especially my red tailed guppy. The plain looking younger one is female, obviously... the other plain small ones with colorful spots are endler's livebearers (guppy family) I think my red tailed guppy (his name is tux) is camera shy! LOL ;)

More pics! I'm a bad photographer!!

Once again sorry about the quality... I was mainly focussed on the water, not the fish... oh well!! >:) by the way the platy in that pic isnt mine. mine LOVES to hide in the sphinx, so I couldnt get a pic... :(

on aqadvisor (which usually trys to help you out not the other way around) said you were at 111% plus those fish need schools alll of them
yep i got the guppies schooled im just trying to get really good at keeping this tank sustainable for fish. Until I have no more dead fish for atleast 3 months, I am not going to upgrade to a 20 gallon just yet. I will in the future, but after I don't have any casualites for a while. Then I will move all of the fish in my 10 gallon over to the 20 and school all the species i have now, maybe even breed them if I can get a few more 10 gals for fry. :D

Back
Top Bottom