Should i get another Male Dwarf Gourami?---NO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had one male (powder blue) and after a bout with ich (I lost most of my danios, but this guy stayed alive) he never perked back up. He was listless and stayed at the top and was really pale, even after the remaining danios were back to normal. So I got him a female, and he turned really aggressive! He'd chase her around and it was pretty bad, so I got two more females and he's much better now. My tank is moderately planted, so there is enough space for everyone (it's a 30g). I have thought of getting another male (the females aren't the best looking) but I'm just too concerned about getting another one and dealing with the aggression again, especially since the females are so hard to find around here!

I have Opaline Gourami m/f pair, Honey Gourami m/f pair, Pearl Gourami f, they get along fine in my 55 g. I have 12 Blue Gourami 6 m/f pairs in my 90 g and they all get along fine. I would say if your aquarium is well planted then you may not have an aggression issue. I looked at your aquarium pictures. I would add some more plants if you were planning on dropping another male in there. Or else I would really add a female...we have found that when the females outnumber the males or their is an equal number than aggression issues don't usually arise.

oh i do have more plants now, about every week i check out what the LFS has and ill buy another plant or two. But i think i am happy with just my one male and one female pair for now.

I had a female and a male blue or 3 spot Gourami. I had to put them in separate tanks. the male then was fairly peaceful, unless he took a notion that he did not care for the other fish in the tank and he would chase them around, Swordtails, Zebras and Giant Danios. The Danios could easily out run him but he would get a Swordtail ever so often.
Now I have two paradise Gouramis both male and although they are very juvenile, one has already asserted his authority and constantly chases the other male around the tank. I will soon have to separate them. The males will even try to kill the female when it is not breeding season so you need a good place for her to hideout

Back
Top Bottom