Should i get rid of these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a green tiger barb and two dwarf puffers. For a while they were tame but I just got a German blue ram and the barb constantly chases him around and he has tail fin missing and his lower fins and I think it's the reason I have an outbreak of ich because te stress of that. Many other fish have many pieces missing from their fins and it's stressing me out. So I think I'll try to sell my dwarfs and give my barb to petco for adoption. Is this a good idea?

I don't have any experience with barbs but I do know dwarf puffers are usually very nippy/aggressive and are probably best in a tank of their own....if you don't have one for them, your idea of rehoming them sounds good to me!! Good luck :)

Firstly, if you're having an ich outbreak it is almost always due to the newest addition to a tank.

Ich is a parasite and does not just live in the water of a tank looking for an opportunity to attack, it must be brought in by something, a new plant that was wet (as ich dies quickly when dried out) or most commonly a new fish that was brought in from a sick tank without being quarantined.

Next, yes, barbs and especially tiger barbs are well documented and notorious for being fin nippers, and occasionally it can cause a problem however i don't believe that it causes severe problems though I could be mistaken on that point.

Lastly, if you do decide to get rid of the fish you MUST first take care of the ich as giving/selling them to another person or petco will just contaminate their tanks and kill more fish. There are a lot of posts and articles here that help with eliminating ich but it is AT LEAST a two week process. Don't think that just because the white spots go away in a week that the tank or fish are ok.

Firstly, if you're having an ich outbreak it is almost always due to the newest addition to a tank.

Ich is a parasite and does not just live in the water of a tank looking for an opportunity to attack, it must be brought in by something, a new plant that was wet (as ich dies quickly when dried out) or most commonly a new fish that was brought in from a sick tank without being quarantined.

Next, yes, barbs and especially tiger barbs are well documented and notorious for being fin nippers, and occasionally it can cause a problem however i don't believe that it causes severe problems though I could be mistaken on that point.

Lastly, if you do decide to get rid of the fish you MUST first take care of the ich as giving/selling them to another person or petco will just contaminate their tanks and kill more fish. There are a lot of posts and articles here that help with eliminating ich but it is AT LEAST a two week process. Don't think that just because the white spots go away in a week that the tank or fish are ok.

Well yeah that's just common curiosity. I'm talking about after I'm done with this to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom