Should I get shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal. with 5 zebras and one live plant along with some fake plants. I also have a piece of wood I found at a local beach.
Lately I've been wanting some shrimp to help control the algae, and I have some questions.
Would I get away with about 5 shrimp along with my zebras?
What type of shrimp should I get? I want somthing with some color.
Does the 1 inch of fish per gal apply to inverts?
Is there any other questions I should ask? :p Seems I always forget what I want to know when I ask. Wierd

You could go with Amano shrimp but not a lot of color, but they are good-sized and fun to watch. For color you could go with one of the dwarf shrimp, like the Red Cherry Shrimp, but they are small and can be eaten by your fish. They also have a tendency to hide in the presence of fish. I raise these for my lfs.

Thanks Nippy

I might be able to get a hold of a 5 gallon from a friend, and will hopefully be able to put them in there. Then if I can breed the I'll try them in the 10 gal. I want red crystal or red cherry shrimp. I have to drive 2 hours to get them so I have to plan this out.

And do I need a finer gravel for shrimp?

inch per gallon doesnt apply to much of anything.....

the zebras will most likely hunt down the small colorful shrimp if you add them.

I think I'll try the Amanos then. Hopefully I can get that 5 gal and do a shrimp tank later on.
Thanks for the help. :D

Don't dwarf shrimp grow to be about 1.5 inches? Can a zebra hunt that down?

Back
Top Bottom