Should I get shrimp and/or snails for my 10 gallon community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, don't doubt that. I would doubt a true ghost shrimp attacking a healthy fish though.

I'll get two ghost shrimp from petsmart and see if they harass my other fish. If they do, I'll take them back.

MABJ said:
Don't have more shrimp than fish. Otherwise they get brave and try to work together on killing fish. Lol

Im sorry but that cracked me up ;)

Do u think the ghost shrimp will harass my other fish? And will they eat my mystery snail?

I'll probably go to the best store in my area to try to find RCS or amano. If they don't have them, I'll get ghost.

GuppyLover said:

Lmao! It comes from experience though. My shrimp organized an assault on my puffer, and promptly died one by one.

Don't have more shrimp than fish. Otherwise they get brave and try to work together on killing fish. Lol
It is funny...but only because in this case, it's completely false. Small shrimp like ghost shrimp and RCS are not going to eat healthy fish. I have dozens of RCS in my 20 gal and I can assure you they've never killed any of my fish. Just not going to happen.

Do u think the ghost shrimp will harass my other fish? And will they eat my mystery snail?

Ghosts will not eat your mystery snail. I have nerite snails in both of my shrimp tanks and my sons have mystery snails and shrimp in both of their tanks. The shrimp do not bother the snails.

Coleallensmom said:
It is funny...but only because in this case, it's completely false. Small shrimp like ghost shrimp and RCS are not going to eat healthy fish. I have dozens of RCS in my 20 gal and I can assure you they've never killed any of my fish. Just not going to happen.

Mind you I'm not sure which type of ghost shrimp I buy, there are several, they have attacked my fish before. My puffer is plenty healthy too lol. It does happen, it just may not have happened to you yet..

MABJ said:
It comes from experience though. My shrimp organized an assault on my puffer, and promptly died one by one.

When you say that I imagine a army of ghost shrimp marching towards a puffer and eing eaten one by one, roflmao! Mine travel in colonies and work with the algea eater to take down fish. The algea eater sucks off the slime coat and the shrimp tickle the victim : p I guess they are tired of cleaning up after them, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
If ghost shrimp somehow manage to attack a perfectly healthy fish that is capable of eating them, chalk it up to natural selection. Ghost shrimp aren't even built in a way to do a healthy fish any serious damage.

Coleallensmom said:
Ghosts will not eat your mystery snail. I have nerite snails in both of my shrimp tanks and my sons have mystery snails and shrimp in both of their tanks. The shrimp do not bother the snails.

I have to disagree with you. Youtube it, they have some examples i believe.

I have to disagree with you. Youtube it, they have some examples i believe.

As I said previously, since there are many species collectively referred to as ghost shrimp, I am sure it is possible that some are more capable than others at eating small fish, etc. However, the most commonly known/sold ghost shrimp have no claws with which to kill. Even so, I find it hard to believe a small shrimp could eat a snail the size of a mystery snail. Small snails, yes...but not grown snails.

Back
Top Bottom