Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try and get cherry shrimp if you can. Amazing creatures

Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
come get me tang police!

I wouldn't get another animal to clean up uneaten food, it just means you are feeding too much. Guppies, platys, and definitely cories all will pick food off the bottom, just cut back on feeding and it will help.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like adding to your tank would only exasperate your problem. Debris at the bottom of the tank is a maintenance issue. Make sure you are doing a partial water change and vacuuming your gravel every week. If this is done properly, you should have no issues.

A nerite snail is a great algae eater, but it will not eat uneaten crud at the bottom of the tank. Shrimp will, but you'd probably have to add 500 of them to see a real difference if you have a noticeable amount of crud at the bottom.

Also cory cats are shoalers and need to be in groups of 4-6 minimum. Your breed gets too large for a 10 gal tank and being kept solo, is not happy. You may want to consider choosing a different bottom dweller more suitable for a 10 gal tank such as kuhli loaches. They stay small enough, and a 10 gal can accommodate their minimum group size which is 5.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I wouldn't get another animal to clean up uneaten food, it just means you are feeding too much. Guppies, platys, and definitely cories all will pick food off the bottom, just cut back on feeding and it will help.
I agree..cutting back on feeding should be your first step towards a cleaner tank, not adding more fish. A 10 gal is a very small tank.

Idk what type of species of shrimp everyone is talking about in this thread but I've *never* heard of nor have seen ghost shrimp attack and eat a live healthy fish. That's not to say that there are not different kinds of shrimps being sold as Ghosts that might feed off of fish, but IME the only bits of agressiveness shown by ghosts are towards other shrimp and only when feeding. Ghost Shrimp usually stay away from a live fish, unless it is dead or nearly so.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I completely agree. There is another breed of shrimp that looks like ghost shrimp that is occasionally sold as ghost shrimp. People have ended up with dead fish this way. So yes, it is possible. True ghost/glass shrimp will not kill fish.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva
I completely agree. There is another breed of shrimp that looks like ghost shrimp that is occasionally sold as ghost shrimp. People have ended up with dead fish this way. So yes, it is possible. True ghost/glass shrimp will not kill fish.
But thwy do eat snails.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't seen it in my tanks but it would make sense that a large ghost shrimp would pick up a small snail.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
come get me tang police!

I've kept red claw macro shrimp, which look a lot like ghost shrimp (with long claws) and they terrorized my cherry shrimp and snails any snails they came across.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those might be what I'm thinking of. I'm so tired today I can't remember.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

they do eat snails.ive currently got five in my 10 gallon tank and at least 3 are real ghost shrimp,and they eat snails.they other 2 may be red claw macro shrimp,for sure 2 have the red above there claws.

Tags
10 gallon, community, rim, shrimp, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com