Should I get shrimp and/or snails for my 10 gallon community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm getting them today. I'm jut curious: would it be ok if I put some nerite snails in there too? Also how many shrimp should I get?

I have 6 ghost shrimp in my community tank and 1 nerite snail. They're the perfect cuc.

If you ever have a chance to get some AES (Amano), go for it, they cleaned every speck of algae off my plants in one tank. I just wish I could put them in my DT to clean those plants, but my Moors would wonder why no wine with the hors d'oeuvres lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
I have 6 ghost shrimp in my community tank and 1 nerite snail. They're the perfect cuc.

If you ever have a chance to get some AES (Amano), go for it, they cleaned every speck of algae off my plants in one tank. I just wish I could put them in my DT to clean those plants, but my Moors would wonder why no wine with the hors d'oeuvres lol.

[moderator edit] Their loss then huh? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. But if they are kept in saltwater at the store will they be ok in my freshwater?

maxwellag said:
Ok. But if they are kept in saltwater at the store will they be ok in my freshwater?

No... They need acclimation just like anything else.

Mr. Limpet said:
At 2.99 a pop for the AES it'd be my loss :eek:.

I can get ghosties for .08 each, those I'd be cool with but all they is eat leftover food and poo.

I know. I absolutely love it. Lol.

MABJ said:
No... They need acclimation just like anything else.

Yes I know of course I'm gonna acclimate I just meant since it grew up in saltwater will it be ok in freshwater.

No! There are SW nerites and FW nerites. You need to be sure to get a species of FW nerite. A FW nerite does well in brackish, but not full salt, so if you are seeing them in a full salt tank, they won't work in your tank.

Ok so I went to my lfs today and hey didn't even have the nerite snails so I just got five ghost shrimp and they are so cool! I love them!

siva said:
No! There are SW nerites and FW nerites. You need to be sure to get a species of FW nerite. A FW nerite does well in brackish, but not full salt, so if you are seeing them in a full salt tank, they won't work in your tank.

I should have read better, I thought he was talking about ghost shrimp.

the shrimps and snails eat food at like the bottom of the tank? do u have to feed them? i am interested in a snail of some sort.

the shrimps and snails eat food at like the bottom of the tank? do u have to feed them? i am interested in a snail of some sort.

Yep and I don't feed any of my shrimp or snails anything special. The Ghost shrimp eat anything left by my fish, including their poo lol. My nerite snail cleans the glass and whatever else of algae (I think it likes poo too).

Back
Top Bottom