should I just give up now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
really. I thought I was doing an ok job of keeping fish when I had my ten. no deaths, no illness. And now, I just CANT get away from it!! I was looking at the rasboras in the qt last night and the smaller one has one of its fins almost gone! I have seen the bigger rasbora chasing it around but I didn't think it was doing damage. I am assuming that its being aggressive because there are only two and they like bigger groups right? Well that was just IT for me. I am on the verge of freaking out getting rid of all of it. I didn't think I would ever get to this point. So my plan: Since the rasbora is damaged, I am going to move the corys in with them and treat them all with melafix. I am still concerned about mouth fungus with the rasboras. I cant tell if there is still traces of it or not on their mouth. When they get all better, I am giving the corys away, and will probably get more rasboras because they are really great little fish. And dang it, it just makes me sick because I love the corys but I don't think they can tolerate my water. I am just so frustrated. I am also going to call our water co. and find out exactly what they put in the water. I just tested the tap water again, and there IS definitely ammonia in the water. gross!!

I have seen the bigger rasbora chasing it around but I didn't think it was doing damage.
If the bigger one is stressing the smaller one, the stress level goes up and the immune system takes a dive. This may explain why the smaller one is not well.
I am also going to call our water co. and find out exactly what they put in the water. I just tested the tap water again, and there IS definitely ammonia in the water. gross!!
That is gross. What's the ppm in the tap? The bacteria in your filter should be able to take care of it. Is there always trace amounts in the tank?

That is gross. What's the ppm in the tap? The bacteria in your filter should be able to take care of it. Is there always trace amounts in the tank

Oh my. I just tested again, and if I am reading this right, its 1.0ppm. My tank does take care of it fairly quickly, I always get 0 ammo when I test the tank. But I do water changes twice weekly. I wonder if I am just introducing too much ammo at once. Would you recommend less water changes?

I had this problem.
I think the water company is probably dosing your water with Chloramine which breaks down into ammonia. Jeff

Isn't there a dechlor that takes out chloramines along with chlorine? I'm not at home to look at my supplies.
I'm going to think about the less water changes and the fish you are keeping and get back to you.

OH my gosh!! I just spoke with the water co. What they do is pump the water from a well into a reservoir that goes out to all the homes. I asked what they add to the water. they said the only thing they add is 1ppm of bleach about once a year when they do the "blow off" to clean the reservoir. They add nothing else. SO what is causing the ammonia? Would some other mineral test as ammonia? Is something rotting in the reservoir? They specifically said that they dont add chlorine (I take it they mean on a regular basis, since bleach has chlorine in it, right?) does this mean I don't need to use a dechlor? should I use it anyway just incase. I spoke to a lfs guy who couldn't answer my question, but said I should filter my water with carbon overnight for my water changes. Is this necessary? I would rather not, but if anyone else thinks its a good idea, I will give it a try.

The decloriantors do work on the Chloramine, but I think that the ammonia comes out of solution faster than the Dechlorinator can work. Since having a tank crash this summer after a 30 % water change I have been letting the water sit for 48 hours before changing and haven't had a problem since.
I think we may thank Walkerton for this. Jeff

They specifically said that they dont add chlorine (I take it they mean on a regular basis, since bleach has chlorine in it, right?) does this mean I don't need to use a dechlor? should I use it anyway just incase.
Yes!
I should filter my water with carbon overnight for my water changes. Is this necessary?
8O I hope not.
I'm guessing the possiblity of the dechlor reacting with the test kits has already been discussed? Oh wait, you tested the tap with no dechlor :? When you tested the tap water, did you allow it to sit out overnight before testing?

Back
Top Bottom