should i keep a tank for a hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
right now i have two split 10 gallons a 30 gallon 85 gallon and a 33 gallon with a bad seal i just ordered a new 33 gallon should i repair my old one for a "hospital tank" or can i just treat all my fish if they get sick?

best to treat them separately cause medicines can stress otherwise perfectly healthy fish. if you have the space and equipment i dont see why not.

ok thats fine but should i keep water in it with a running filter or when one gets sick put water in then ? and do i need a 33 gallon or could i just get a 20 as my biggest fish are fancy goldfish?

you want it to be it's own system so yes, running water, either hydro-sponge or just a air stone would do the trick, you dont want the water to become stagnant. the tank size doesnt matter. but usually the more water the more stable your environment will be.

yep, if you add a substrate you would have to clean it so it's really up to you. you are just creating a mini environment that you KNOW isnt diseased and is also isolated from your other fish, where you can spare them the effects of the medicine, and where the sick fish can recover.

Unless you cycle the tank and feed it everyday, keeping it running isn't practical. Just run an extra filter on your main tank, then set the tank up and transfer the filter when you need it.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Unless you cycle the tank and feed it everyday, keeping it running isn't practical. Just run an extra filter on your main tank, then set the tank up and transfer the filter when you need it.

+1

I have 2 filters running, if I need to set up a QT it can be done in 10 minutes or so. Even though water in my DT isn't filled with bacteria, I'll use it for a 50% fill, then PWC both tanks since it is conditioned/adjusted for them already.

I also keep the QT empty of any decco (unless they need a hidey hole) so there's less to disinfect afterwards. Plants IMO should get QT too, I put mine in a clear plastic tub with regular PWC.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

ok that sounds better i already have 5 tanks running all with heaters i can imagine my power bill if i add another. that sounds good too cause i have two filters on my 33 gallon so i can just set up and use my extra ac20 and you say do a water change at 50% and use that water in my qt?

ryan-peddle said:
ok that sounds better i already have 5 tanks running all with heaters i can imagine my power bill if i add another. that sounds good too cause i have two filters on my 33 gallon so i can just set up and use my extra ac20 and you say do a water change at 50% and use that water in my qt?

Most will say it doesn't matter, but IMO using water they were in when going into QT can't hurt since they're use to it.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I have a 2.5g tank put away that I'll use as a hospital tank, and can pull the extra filter off of my 10g to allow the hospital tank to be immediately cycled.

I wish I had room for a quarantine tank too, but those really have to be big enough for a couple of new fish, and my 2.5g doesn't quite cut it. Fortunately, I'm done adding fish to my 20g, so I may not need one (for a while anyway).

Back
Top Bottom