Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Should I put styrofoam under the tank?

I thought I heard this was a good idea once and have had my 10 gallon sitting on a piece. Now I just got a 50 gallon and built a stand with a plywood top (even though I guess a top isn't even needed since all the weight is distributed on the edges and some stands don't even come with tops). But anyways, I have a big sheet of 3/4 inch sytrofoam laying around. Would it be a good idea to put that between the tank and the stand? Or a piece of cardboard?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't really think it is a good idea because it is very important to have the tank level to keep it from twisting. The styrofoam might make it harder to level and keep level.

Check with the manufacture it may void the warranty.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'd stay away from styrofoam, especially for a tank that size. Styrofoam is way to pliable and soft and, as the previous poster said, would likely change shape at some point. Then you end up with a tilted aquarium that'll collect unwanted "debris" on one side, so you'll have the added hassle of cleaning more often.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It isn't the cleaning I would worry about it is more like a leak.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wasn't thinking of using it to level the tank. I just remember reading that it helps to cushion the tank or relieve stress. I will definitely get the tank and stand as level as I can before I fill it up. Makes sense that the stryofoam would just absorb the weight evenly if the tank is on there level, but I guess this sounds like people don't do this.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bad idea...ask Ziggy
Old 03-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, well, glad to know. I guess I'll just put it right on the stand then! Thanks for the input.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, unless the manufacturer of the tank specifically recommends using foam, don't use it! Ziggy cracked his tank, the foam actually pushed up into the glass (if I remember right) and cracked it. As long as the top of the stand is level you would be fine with it just resting on plywood. I have my 10g and 30g long on bare plywood.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just brought the stand I built into the room where it is going and it is almost dead on level! Just had to put one little shim on the floor since it is on hardwoods, on carpet probably wouldnt have been necessary. After looking at the tank, I can see where styrofoam wouldn't do any good since the tank sits on those plastic edges anyways. Can't wait to get this up and running!

Tags
foam, styrofoam, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com